Sign in with
Your question

How to survive High school with nothing but a laptop

Tags:
  • Laptops
Last response: in Laptop General Discussion
May 27, 2013 2:58:46 PM

I am trying a new project; it is my goal to go through my senior year of high school using nothing but my new laptop. When I mean nothing other than i do not mean in any kind of extremist fashion. I do plan to carry around a pen or 2 and MAYBE a notebook. Well at any rate my question is this:
How do I do it?
I think it may be important for you to know what tool I'm working with so...
My laptop is a Vaio T series laptop with touch screen. I also have the complete MS Office suit 2010 (including onenote...) I plan on getting the wacom bamboo stylus. I think it is best to just throw out some basic questions that accompany that first.
How fast do you think I have to be able to type? (now I'm at a slow 20wpm)
Will I need any other software?
Will it be slower than pen and paper?
Really guys I just want you to throw any kind of comment that comes to mind. Post any question if you got them, to me or others.
Thanks.

More about : survive high school laptop

a b D Laptop
May 27, 2013 4:52:06 PM

At 20 wpm its better to simply handwrite. That is quite slow (much slower than pen and paper). Its hard to draw diagrams and stuff on a laptop (maybe with a touchscreen its easier). If this is in any way going to affect your marks I strongly suggest you drop this experiment. On that note an extra battery will probably help quite a bit.
May 27, 2013 5:19:33 PM

whyso said:
At 20 wpm its better to simply handwrite. That is quite slow (much slower than pen and paper). Its hard to draw diagrams and stuff on a laptop (maybe with a touchscreen its easier). If this is in any way going to affect your marks I strongly suggest you drop this experiment. On that note an extra battery will probably help quite a bit.

From what I have tried it not too hard to draw on the screen. With a stylus I should get the extra accuracy boos I need. I know That 20 wpm is too slow; i asked so that i may better understand where I need to be not where I am. Extra battery would help but there is nothing I can about that.
Thanks for the reply.
Related resources
May 27, 2013 8:21:25 PM

Was this the wrong section to post to?
August 12, 2013 11:43:20 AM

the t series laptop has a capacative touch screen. All wacom styluses need an active digitizer. Such as the screen on the ipad.
get your facts right and drop the experiment. what matters more? a stupid experiment out of your own curiosity that will get you nowhere or your grades that will get you into a good college
October 19, 2013 9:59:03 PM

Im sorry but I find it incredibly thick skulled to say that my grades will drop from something like this. If you dont know me how can you even guess at that? I don't need pen and paper to get good grades. What ever I need to know I simply remember. Also, how can someone aspiring to be a man of science ever believe that curiosity "will get you nowhere"? I did it because I wanted to know more about it. I did not ask if you agreed with it or not. Last thing I need is another "it's for you own benefit so do it this way" guy. I am sorry if I offended you in anyway or came off as harsh but it really was a very unproductive comment and for some reason or other it just made me cross.

P.s. Wacom stylus work on my screen. How do I know? I bought one.
!