New Build for Gaming and All-Around Use.

ADozer

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
Looking to put this together soon:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/10wYu

Mostly going to do some gaming, some Android App development (coding side), and general day-to-day stuff.

A note on the storage: Current idea is to use the M5M 128gb in the Motherboard's mSATA slot as a SRT, while using the 256gb M5P as a "c:" drive for the OS and a game or two. If this is not going to provide any meaningful benefit, I have no qualms saving a few dollars by removing the SRT mSATA.

The two Seagates will be setup in a RAID 0 configuration and made into two partitions of 2gb each.

Still on the fence on a GTX 680 vs. Radeon 7970. Leaning towards Nvidia due to the fact I've had good luck with them for the last few years, but I'm not sure which is a stronger card for Gaming (mostly World of Warcraft, but I also play some Borderlands 1&2, Rage, but the only thing I'm "competitive" at would be World of Warcraft).

Thank you in advance :)

RenzoGuzi

Honorable
May 3, 2013

Scratch m last comment. That build is pretty sweet already, assuming you have the money to spend. Youre actually good to go. But just a quick thouht. Since, you didnt say anything about extreme overclocking, you could just a get a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO for around 29$. It's silent. It'll save you some money. But the liquid cooler is good to. Enjoy your build! :)

Xuluu

Honorable
May 26, 2013
If you are looking to do some crazy overclocking then the liquid cooling is a must, but if you are looking at moderate overclocking then the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO is a much better choice. So long as your case cooling is sufficient it will keep your graphics card nice and cool even when overclocking MODERATELY.

ADozer

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
I am not looking to overclock at this point, I honestly just like the aesthetics of a liquid cooling solution here, and (unfortuanetly) my apartment can get a bit warm even with the A/C going in the summer time (top floor, big south-facing windows :( ). My main question was regarding the SSD setup. Will I see any benefits with the mSATA on the motherboard in SRT mode, along with another SSD housing the OS and my most often used game(s)?

I will, however, consider an air-cooler for sure since the case I am looking at has plenty of airflow going for it.

Thanks again :)

Xuluu

Honorable
May 26, 2013
Yeah of course! Concerning the SSD setup: if you place your most often played games (WoW) on the SSD you will see a huge difference in loading screens and what not. I would highly recommend the exact thing you are looking at doing. You will definitely see some huge benefits with that SSD set up.

The liquid cooling is always great, if you can set it up, and it always gives you the possibility of doing some pretty heavy overclocking. If you are comfortable with the time and money it takes then I would totally go for it. The air-cooler was just an alternative.

ADozer

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
Ok, what makes it a waste of money, so I can look into and adapt it better to my needs. Quiet and cool are very important to me, as is solid performance and a bit of future-proofing in the way of having some decent expandability.

My main question remains still: Are two separate SSD devices, one as an OSe the othsr as a SRT going to provide a benefit that is noticable at all, or should I just stick with the single larger SSD for my OS and main applications?

Thanks again for all the help.

There is no way to future proof a computer . That build is obsolete in less than a week when intel release new cpu's ...and they are not compatible.

You do not need a 3770k for gaming and light use . A 3570 more than covers that usage

You do not need 16 gig of RAM for any of your indicated usages. Even 8 would be overkill

Two SSD's wont be helpful

The seagates are designed for video survielance recording , not storage on a pc

the E-ATX mb is only useful if you want to run 3 graphics cards

the sound card is no better than the sound on almost all motherboards

the liquid cooler is not that good , not that quiet ,and not required

You'd run that easily on a 600 watt psu

BloodyValley

Honorable
May 7, 2013
This is a great build. Good choice. Lots of storage. But you cheaped out on the case man. Get an Antec Twelve Hundread V3. Also, for your GPU, I would recommend a AMD Radeon HD 7970 over the 680, primarily because the 7970 destroys the 680 in overclocking. It's also cheaper. The 680 is useless now that there is the 780. IMO, go with the 7970 or 780, depending on how much you want to spend. DO NOT go with the 680.

Also, for your power supply, remember one thing: ALWAYS go with SeaSonic. They are THE best power supply manufacturer in the PC market. Very reliable. You can't go wrong with SeaSonic man.

Here is a 1250W power supply in case you decide to go with the 780: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151109

Here is a 850W power supply, which should be sufficient. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151109

These should last you for 20 years at least. You can transfer power supplies into other builds which over time will save you some money.