Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Help: i5-3337U processor vs. i5-3230M processor ??

Last response: in CPUs
Share

Which one is better?

Total: 5 votes

  • i5-3337U with 32GB mSATA SSD
  • 40 %
  • i5-3230M
  • 60 %
May 28, 2013 3:41:55 AM

Hi all,
Have been a silent reader of this forum ..

I'd appreciate it if some of you experts can give some opinions on this ...
I'm trying to choose between 2 different configurations of Dell Vostro 5460, pretty lightweight, with these specs:

1) 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i5-3337U processor (3M Cache, up to 2.7 GHz)
4GB DDR3 1600MHz (4GBx1)
Hard Drive 500GB 5400rpm Hard Drive with 32GB mSATA SSD

2) 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i5-3230M processor (3M Cache, up to 3.2 GHz)
4GB DDR3 1600MHz (4GBx1)
Hard Drive 500GB 5400rpm Hard Drive

Which one is better? I understand that ULV consumes less energy, but is its performance significantly lower than that of i5-3230M? How well will the 32GB mSATA SSD boost its performance?

Thank you guys! (and Sorry, I'm not good with computers; I may have asked the wrong question / a stupid question)
a c 79 à CPUs
May 28, 2013 4:22:43 AM

No question is wrong or stupid....some are occasionally funny :) . What is the purpose of your build? If it is gaming, then you will definitely see better performance with 3230M due to it's higher clock speed. if you care much about power consumption, then go for the other.

at $ 225, it is pretty much the most powerful dual core mobile cpu at that price point. As 3337U and i3 3130M are also the same price.
a b à CPUs
May 28, 2013 6:53:23 AM

SSD's don't really effect CPU performance.

The i5-3230M is significantly better than the i5-3337U.

The perfomance gap really is quite a bit on both the CPU front and IGP front.
Related resources
May 28, 2013 7:05:21 AM

elemein said:
SSD's don't really effect CPU performance.

The i5-3230M is significantly better than the i5-3337U.

The perfomance gap really is quite a bit on both the CPU front and IGP front.




Thanks for the replies.

What's the purpose of the 32GB mSATA SSD, then?

Will i5-3230M become significantly warm easily?
I'm not into gaming, but would use multiple tabs for surfing, videos, school projects, maybe going to try programming / Matlab when the new semester begins.
a b à CPUs
May 28, 2013 7:11:16 AM

A Hill said:


Thanks for the replies.

What's the purpose of the 32GB mSATA SSD, then?

Will i5-3230M become significantly warm easily?
I'm not into gaming, but would use multiple tabs for surfing, videos, school projects, maybe going to try programming / Matlab when the new semester begins.


Are you looking at a particular notebook with a 32GB mSATA SSD? SSDs significantly reduce boot times, decrease loading times, and increase responsive. They make the computing experience much more snappier.

The i5-3230M wouldn't exactly "heat up significantly." It would get hot to the point where your laptop would probably get a little warm, but overheating probably won't happen. Just a little warm and a little noisy, but otherwise fine.

If you are not gaming, and you are just wanting to use the internet, watch videos, do school projects (I assume that'd be using Microsoft Word, Powerpoint, Photoshop and other programs like that?), and trying out programming, the i5-3337U will suit you perfectly fine. It has sufficient power.
May 28, 2013 8:32:24 AM

hafijur said:
3230m max turbo for 2 core is 3ghz vs 3337u 2.5ghz. So the 3230m should be 20% faster then the 3337u. I would get the 3337u one if its cheaper as it has the ssd cache to speed up running applications.


The i5-3337u is actually about $30 more expensive than i5-3230m. But I don't mind paying for it if it suits me better.

I assume i5-3337u is sufficient for dramas/movies, and using Matlab / Autocad ?


May 28, 2013 8:35:09 AM

elemein said:
A Hill said:


Thanks for the replies.

What's the purpose of the 32GB mSATA SSD, then?

Will i5-3230M become significantly warm easily?
I'm not into gaming, but would use multiple tabs for surfing, videos, school projects, maybe going to try programming / Matlab when the new semester begins.


Are you looking at a particular notebook with a 32GB mSATA SSD? SSDs significantly reduce boot times, decrease loading times, and increase responsive. They make the computing experience much more snappier.

The i5-3230M wouldn't exactly "heat up significantly." It would get hot to the point where your laptop would probably get a little warm, but overheating probably won't happen. Just a little warm and a little noisy, but otherwise fine.

If you are not gaming, and you are just wanting to use the internet, watch videos, do school projects (I assume that'd be using Microsoft Word, Powerpoint, Photoshop and other programs like that?), and trying out programming, the i5-3337U will suit you perfectly fine. It has sufficient power.



Thanks for the explanation.
Yeap, that's about what I would use it for. Plus Matlab or Autocad in some new classes.
a b à CPUs
May 28, 2013 1:05:42 PM

A Hill said:
elemein said:
A Hill said:


Thanks for the replies.

What's the purpose of the 32GB mSATA SSD, then?

Will i5-3230M become significantly warm easily?
I'm not into gaming, but would use multiple tabs for surfing, videos, school projects, maybe going to try programming / Matlab when the new semester begins.


Are you looking at a particular notebook with a 32GB mSATA SSD? SSDs significantly reduce boot times, decrease loading times, and increase responsive. They make the computing experience much more snappier.

The i5-3230M wouldn't exactly "heat up significantly." It would get hot to the point where your laptop would probably get a little warm, but overheating probably won't happen. Just a little warm and a little noisy, but otherwise fine.

If you are not gaming, and you are just wanting to use the internet, watch videos, do school projects (I assume that'd be using Microsoft Word, Powerpoint, Photoshop and other programs like that?), and trying out programming, the i5-3337U will suit you perfectly fine. It has sufficient power.



Thanks for the explanation.
Yeap, that's about what I would use it for. Plus Matlab or Autocad in some new classes.


If the 3230 is cheaper and youll be doing Autocad (can beintensive if youre doing anything advanced), then just get the 3230M. The lack of an SSD and a little more heat is worth the extra performance for Autocad..
a c 79 à CPUs
May 28, 2013 9:11:41 PM

+1 for elemin.
3230 is more computation power(3.2 vs 2.7 GHz, Turbo),
3337U is more cpu efficiency (17W vs 35W)
and even a 35W cpu won't bump your electricity bill by a huge amount.
July 4, 2013 11:00:23 PM

so wat have u finaaly decided
even m confused with the same

lenovo trust worthy or not

even i will buy tomorrow
a c 79 à CPUs
July 4, 2013 11:31:24 PM

Ankit, Lenovo is trustworthy to the same extent any other manufacturer is. From the point of view of maintenance and service, Dell is the most accessible. I would suggest you to start a new thread as the OP here has not responded for well over a month.
July 5, 2013 8:38:18 PM

satyamdubey said:
Ankit, Lenovo is trustworthy to the same extent any other manufacturer is. From the point of view of maintenance and service, Dell is the most accessible. I would suggest you to start a new thread as the OP here has not responded for well over a month.


http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1724612/laptop-c...
September 9, 2013 1:50:35 AM

Hello Mr.Hill,

Finally which model you have purchased. Also let me know the performance for the same.
I am also looking to purchase thsi model.

Thanking You.
September 9, 2013 1:52:41 AM

Hello Mr.Hill,

Finally which model you have purchased. Also let me know the performance for the same.
I am also looking to purchase this model.

Thanking You.

A Hill said:
Hi all,
Have been a silent reader of this forum ..

I'd appreciate it if some of you experts can give some opinions on this ...
I'm trying to choose between 2 different configurations of Dell Vostro 5460, pretty lightweight, with these specs:

1) 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i5-3337U processor (3M Cache, up to 2.7 GHz)
4GB DDR3 1600MHz (4GBx1)
Hard Drive 500GB 5400rpm Hard Drive with 32GB mSATA SSD

2) 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i5-3230M processor (3M Cache, up to 3.2 GHz)
4GB DDR3 1600MHz (4GBx1)
Hard Drive 500GB 5400rpm Hard Drive

Which one is better? I understand that ULV consumes less energy, but is its performance significantly lower than that of i5-3230M? How well will the 32GB mSATA SSD boost its performance?

Thank you guys! (and Sorry, I'm not good with computers; I may have asked the wrong question / a stupid question)


Which CPU , CPU Cooler to buy ? - Guide/Tutorial
Last updated on 1 August 2013. Hello Builders and Pros ! This is my guide on how to choose the CPU for a new/old PC , so lets go - //CPU - If you take the PC as the body parts of the human body , your CPU along with RAM and HDD is the Brain.... See full content
!