AMD vs Intel and future games

jbird361

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013
My friend asked me to help him upgrade his computer and I found the AMD fx8350 and intel i5 3570k to be the best cpu's for him, but here is my question.

at the moment, the i5 is better (slightly) then the fx8350, but what about the future? especially considering the ps4 and xbox one will be running an 8 core AMD cpu, will games be optimized for an 8 core cpu in the future? (as well as being optimized for an AMD rig?) or should I recommend the i5, as in most games it performs better.

elemein

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
Two things:

- Now, they're about equal.
- If you go with the FX8350, his CPU will be upgradeable in the future with Steamroller if he needs more perfomance, however, the LGA1155 of the i5-3570K is a dead socket and has no upgrade path.
- Future games will be much more multithreaded, benefitting the FX, however, Intel will not just "lay around" like people think they will. The i5-4670K and FX 8x00 of SR should still perform similarily, as top AMD processors and standard performance Intel processors do.

G

If I will buy 8350 now. Do the 8350 will last until the future you are talking about ? In this case maybe the 8350 can be good than 3570k after 4-5 year. Does the 8350 will last at that time ?

elemein

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013

Define "last".

Will it perform as good 4-5 years down the road? Of course.
Will it perform as good as other processors of the time or be obsolete by then? It most likely will be bordering on obsoletion by then.

G

Some people says that it will heat too much. AMD has lot of power consumption. The more the watt the more the heat.

8350rocks

Distinguished

Wrong, max power consumption is 138W which means the 181W that the FX8350 uses at peak is only 53W more. Which is about 10 more than the i7-3770k difference, but still amounts to nothing.

If you don't believe reality...you're a fanboy.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i5-3570-low-power,3204-13.html

You might try actually reading about this stuff before you spout off nonsense...it would do you some good.

EDIT: That means instead of 4.2 years...it only takes 4 years now...if you run it at full load 6 hours per day, 365 days per year for 4 years...so in reality, it would likely take more like 8 years still.

elemein

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
Guys, cut it out. Stop calling eachother fanboys please.

Youre both right... Ish.

At 100% usage, the FX consumes only about 48W more theoretically (comparing TDPs. Remember, 99% of the energy that flows through a CPU ends up as heat after its used.). But who of us runs our CPUs at 100% load from boot to shut down? No one? Didnt think so.

The average power usage of the FX is quite a bit more due to larger transistor size (more energ is needed to "charge" a larger transistor) and architecture design. Intel has LOTS of power saving features, more than AMD for sure. AMD has a masive cache, which uses a LOT of power to keep active.

Nonetheless, the point of the matter is, youre both right in your own ways. At 100% load, 8350rocks is right. Under not so stressful loads... The other guy (sorry, its hard to remembe a name with no avi) is right.

Either way, to run eithe processor for a whole year only really costs like 20$ a year in most places, so theres no real big deal.