Honorable
May 28, 2013
My current system is getting a little long in the tooth, its a
phenom ii X2 555 3.6ghz
ASUS M4A88TD-M EVO
8GB Corsair Ram 1333MHz
XFX 6850 1gb GPU
128GB SSD

I know these aint the best specs in the world but its given me a good service, Now i have been thinking of upgrading the CPU to a X4 965, but wasnt sure if its worth it or give me much of a performance boost, i could get the CPU pretty soon then see about building a new system later next year or should i put the £65 towards a new system this year, its mainly used for internet browsing, photo editing(PS Elements11) and light gaming ie occasinally play of CS:GO and FM 2013

Any help would be much appreciated thanks

elemein

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
The processor doesn't have much of a speed benefit. The only real benefit is the extra two cores; however.

- Counter Strike GO and Football Manager dont use four cores, making the extra two cores useless.
- Internet browsing rarely requires more than two cores, making the extra two cores useless.
- Photoshop DOES have support for quad cores, but most of it's processors run on the first two cores with the extra two as tertiary, support cores.

Upgrading will give you more performance in photoshop, if thats what you're after, but CS GO and FM will show almost no benefit.

Maybe it's actually a new GPU you're after? What GPU do you have now?

si_85

Honorable
May 28, 2013

The GPU is XFX HD6850 1gb, i was thinking of a gpu upgrade but wasnt sure if the X2 555 would bottleneck it?

elemein

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013

For dual core games, it wont bottleneck an upgrade like a 7770 or 7850, but the 6850 still performs near the 7770 level, so an upgrade isn't actually that big of a difference.

May I ask; what kind of performance are you dis satisfied? During what program or application does the computer feel "slow?

si_85

Honorable
May 28, 2013

I did look at a 7770 but decided it didnt offer much of an improvment over my 6850,
To be fair i wouldnt say am to dis satisfied with it, especially since moving the Os onto a SSD, but I've recently brought a DSLR, so am using more RAW files with Photoshop, sometimes it does seem like it chokes with some of the larger files, But then that could be me being over picky lol
Btw thanks for the quick responses.

elemein

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013

Aha I guess the responses are so quick this time around.

Anyways, if Photoshop is the main chokepoint, try overclocking if you can. Since PS mainly uses two cores, making those two cores fast will definitely help.

If even after overclocking, you still see it as too slow, Id still reccomend not upgrading yet, and possibly waiting to get a whoke new build or atleast mobo and CPU. I wouldnt reccomend upgrading now because youre satisified now, and the speed difference wont be that big.

si_85

Honorable
May 28, 2013

Thanks for the help, I'll try changing the Stock CPU fan and see if i can overclock it more.