Backup a system image on BD-R

MKBL

Splendid
Nov 17, 2011
I tried to backup a system image onto BD-R discs. Below is the system details:

CPU: i5-2400
Memory: 8 GB
Primary Disk: Samsung 830 128 GB
Secondary: Samsung 500 GB -> User folder, temp folder, steam, and a few programs
Internal ODD: LG DVD Multi
Blue-Ray: External Asus 12X BD-RE with USB 3.0 connection
Total backup size: 61 GB

When I started with the Windows default backup utility, it required to insert blank disc, so I put in 25GB BD-R 6X disc. Then popped up a message for disck formatting, which I was not sure if BD-R require such thing, but clicked yes. After quite a while (over 30 minutes), there was a verification error message, indicating errors on the disc. I tried one more time, the same result.

One google search returned this article, suggesting BD-RE disc instead of BD-R. I wonder if that is the case, and whether I should buy BD-RE, but I don't want to waste money if I can figure out to use BD-R disks that I have now.

Just out of curiosity I am going to try it and will let you know what happens. You shouldn't need to format a BD-R disc.

Update: I just tried it and it wanted to format the BD-R discs and since that is not possible I tried a BD-RE disc, formatted it, and proceeded with backup. It started and speared to be working. I stopped it when I realized I didn't have enough BD-RE discs to complete the task (needed about 7 and only have 2). Once I have purchased more BD-RE discs I will attempt it again and see if it goes through to completion. Short answer is the BD-R discs won't work (at least not for me).

Update 2: I looked for BD-RE discs today and only found one place that carries them locally (looked at 8 places including Best Buy, Radio Shack, Office Depot, Office Max, etc.). At $17.99 each I decided against it. I know I can find them for less online as I found a 10 pack of BD-RE Dual Layer (50GB) discs for $46.98 on Amazon.