IDE To SATA Upgrade on SONY PCV W1G

Gordon Elliott

Honorable
May 28, 2013
Hi Tom, I want to upgrade my old Sony pcv-w1g to a 2tb SATA from IDE with the accompanying interface hardware. I am running win XP home version SP3. I want it to be the boot drive, but I am told that the mother board may not recognize 2tb. Is that correct? Many thanks

Gordon Elliott

Honorable
May 28, 2013
Thanks for your reply Popatim but

I intend to purchase an IDE to SATA Interface and a (Hopefully) 2GB SATA drive. With an IDE cable Gender changer I can plug the SATA Interface directly into my existing Cable and then connect the SATA Drive to the Interface. The SATA Power supply will be fed via the power adapter cable. The physics are quite easy but I am worried about the mother board not being able to cope with a 2Tb Drive. Hence my question. Does anyone know if a mother board can actually interfere with the Win XP home "Seeing" a 2Tb drive?

popatim

Titan
Ahh. I missed that part of your original post. I, like you I guess, did not turn up anything in the 2tb range on google but I don't see why it would take 500gb ok and not 2tb.

Be sure the adapter you get works with sata3 harddrives. Many are for optical drives only.