My computer appears to have 2 GPUs but the specs doesnt say that.

ac143

Honorable
May 28, 2013
I have an Alienware M14x-R2 gaming laptop. When I brought it, I knew that it had a NVidia GT650M. One day, while checking for updates to any Intel software I had on my computer, (I did the Automatically identify and find drivers thing) I noticed that it showed an update to a Intel HD graphics 4000 driver. I was pretty sure my computer doesn't have 2 GPUS so I thought it might be a glitch. Then, when I got TechPowerUp GPU (for GPU monitoring), I saw that my computer had 2 graphics cards. I think this is weird as it couldn't be a glitch if its able to monitor it. Then I decided to look at the specs in detail. They specify that the computer has 1 GPU which is the gt650m. How come it is indicated that I have 2 GPUs? (the Intel and NVidia one)

P.S. how do u post a screenshot?

ihog

Distinguished
Most laptops like this use the iGPU until it can't do the job anymore (to save power) and that's when it starts using the dedicated graphics. Whether that's how your Alienware works, I'm not sure, but it is most likely using the nVidia card when necessary.

TRENDING THREADS