Seagate Rolls Out 4 TB HDD for Video Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.
After i burned 4 Seagate HDDS in under 6 months (heavy use and a few power surges in summer), i switched to Samsung drives. 3 years working now, never had a problem with samsung drives.
Sorry seagate, but your product quality is simply not good enought.

G

My 2TB Barracuda is running solid, ignore these trolls, had it for over a year now under heavy use

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
I LOL at this: "Seagate has introduced some new hard drives specifically built for video storage and consumption"
... so we can eat it too? LOL
in a more serious note I already use 4TB drives for Video (specifically TV shows).
so... what really makes this drives "better" after all I just store my shows (I don't delete then) on and off all the time, so they should last for a very long time (I think) since there is no constant rewrites to the disk.

dgingeri

Distinguished
I have 13 Seagate drives in my various computers. Of those, I have had 3 fail, five years ago, and none since then. Their reliability has improved significantly in recent years. The old 1TB drives did have some reliability issues, but that has certainly changed. In case you didn't notice, the latest series of desktop drives, 1 to 3TB for certain, are Samsung design, and likely produced by the production facilities Samsung sold to them.
As for enterprise drives, my lab has over 25000 drives of various manufacturers. Seagate has been, by far, the most reliable with only five failures in the last year, while being the highest minority drive in the lab at about 30%. (We have just under 8000 Seagate drives of various ages and capacities.) Toshiba 2.5" drives were by far the worst with 45 failures in the last year out of 2000 drives, all of them between one and three years old. When they first came in, the failure rate was higher. However, these are all enterprise level drives, so they should be held to a higher standard. In the desktop world, 2.25% annual failure rate may sound fairly decent. It's certainly not in the enterprise world.
My company has now insisted that our OEM suppliers, Dell and NetApp, use only Seagate drives with the products they build for us. My company believes that Seagate is the most reliable, and the numbers from my lab are part of that proof.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
5900RPM, that's fine for specific sequential and multi-sequential tasks but not for heavy duty work. I'm sure a regular Seagate green drive would work fine in a set top box.
A real hard drive is 7200RPM and if you want a supercharger, get a hybrid 7200RPM model with write caching. I hope they proliferate the desktop market so we can have 4TB+ 7200RPM hybrid desktop drives and I hope that Seagate continues making 7200RPM hybrid laptop drives, even though right now they're just making 5400RPM hybrid laptop drives (can be slow if data isn't cached, I'll never buy one).

Let me guess, this is a 5x800GB platter drive?

The 1 thing I'll give them is that it is rated for up to 70 Celsius operating temperature. Typically drives are rated at 60C. Also operating shock at 80g is a bit higher than average I think.

Their specifications page has bad data though;http://www.seagate.com/internal-hard-drives/consumer-electronics/video-3-5-hdd/?cmpid=friendly-_-video-hdd-us
Says only 3 watts idle power consumption even on the 4TB model, but the datasheet http://www.seagate.com/files/www-content/product-content/pipeline-fam/pipeline-hd/video-3-5-hdd/en-us/docs/video-3.5-hdd-ds1783-1-1302us.pdf
says 5 watts, which is far more realistic.
Also on the datasheet, a drive ready time of 15 seconds? Really? At 24watts of 12V power consumption it won't take long to spin up.
Some of the lower capacities says <17, or 6, or 12 seconds. Sounds like firmware bloat/excessive self testing before coming online if accurate, though I doubt those numbers are accurate at all.

gmarsack

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
I use Seagate drives for my headless HP Media Center (2 x 2TB, 2 x 1TB) and they have been 100% reliable in an always on environment for close to 3 years straight up-time. I would have absolutely no complaints if something were to fail today.

gmarsack

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
I use Seagate drives for my headless HP Media Center (2 x 2TB, 2 x 1TB) and they have been 100% reliable in an always on environment for close to 3 years straight up-time. I would have absolutely no complaints if something were to fail today.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
I would like to detail my singular experience with a couple of Seagate hard drives representing 0.0000000032% of their manufacturing output and then generalize that experience to the other 99.9999999968% of drives produced in an attempt to characterize their reliability. Ready?...

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
I would like to detail my singular experience with a couple of Seagate hard drives representing 0.0000000032% of their manufacturing output and then generalize that experience to the other 99.9999999968% of drives produced in an attempt to characterize their reliability. Ready?...

Sorry to break the news to you but Seagate bought out Samsungs HDD division a few years ago so chances are the HDDs from Samsung you have are the same as a Seagate. That's why their laptop line is also called Momentus, like Seagate.

As for reliability, its a crap shoot in the dark TBH. I had 2 of the first gen SATA 1.5 120GB Barracudas that lasted over 8 years. Just replaced my SATA 3.0 500GB Barracudas that were 5 years old last year. But I have had plenty of failed HDDs from every company.

Recently Hitachi laptop HDDs have been failing quite often.

Unless you have been working with computers then there is no way for you to make a claim as bold as that you have never seen a WD HDD drive go bad. Personally I can see that happening as I have never had a WD or Seagate go bad (look above) but I work in computer repairs and I have had bad off the self Seagate, WD, Samsung or any other brand and as well ones that die within a year.

Its mechanical and it will die eventually.

As for HGST, yes they die. As I said above I have recently had a few laptops with some of their newer thinner HDDs in them die out. No company is perfect.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008

hannibal

Distinguished
When considering the reliability of certain company you have to refer current products. Seagate have had really bad products and allso good products... like Intels hot and bad Pentium 4... Now the best CPU's are made by Intel...
We should wait and see if these new Seagate ones are bad or good. Only time will tell.

Evan Richardson

Honorable
May 9, 2013
I've had Seagate drives running 24x7 (5900 Green drives, mind you) in my file server for a year now. I also have Samsung HD204UI drives in RAID 5 running for ~3 years 24x7 (around 900 days each) and they have yet to fail. seagate is just as good as far as I'm concerned as Samsung.

Status
Not open for further replies.