Ghosting on the Dell UltraSharp U2312HM

l0t3k

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
So in a recent post i explained how i had just bought a 24 inch BenQ 120Hz monitor though the smoothness in FPS was nice i still feel i am not an extremely competitive FPS player and that i should go with a nice IPS panel seeing as i'm more of an MMO style gamer where the worlds are much more vast and vivid than that of an FPS. Through much research i have found the Dell UltraSharp U2312HM

I have read many reviews and people so far seem to have not regret buying this monitor however the only thing that seems to turn me off is the fact that it has a response time of 8MS now i am not a computer wiz but from what i have read it seems like the higher response time will give you more ghosting while playing a game. I know i said i am mostly into MMO's but now and again i will occasionally hop on a FPS such a BF3 or CoD BO2 see what's going on. So my question is from others experiences especially those who own this monitor or one that is similar is this a good buy especially for someone who ultimately want to have 3 monitors setup?

Also to determine which one i liked more the IPS or 120HZ i felt like i would have to experience both types of monitors so i went to my local best buy and picked up the LG 23EA63V-P 23" IPS LED HD Monitor another question is the Dell U2312HM a better monitor then the LG 23EA63V-P?

Reason i'm asking is because my plan is to return both the BenQ and LG and get 3 of the Dells.

Just a note i did link provide links to the Dell and LG you just gotta hover over em =]

chub

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010
I certainly haven't had any problems with the slightly higher response times, I think I'm just bad at FPS games anyway. I remember reading somewhere that this monitor has next to no input lag, I could be wrong. Anyway the Dell is a great monitor the colours look gorgeous. Only con about it in my opinion is the harsh antiglare coating that Dell have used, but I got used to it after awhile.

I think the Dells often use an LG screen both would be pretty adequate solutions, the lack of a large bevel on the LG probably makes it a good candidate for surround gaming. Plus IPS screens have awesome viewing angles again great for surround gaming.

l0t3k

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
so far it seems like the dell still has my vote for more or less a couple of smaller reasons such as the stand it come with already has the ability to be turned to a vertical position where the LG does not also the LG's stand is very flimsy but i do agree with chubs the thin bezel on the LG is a very nice feature also someone may know the answer to this question when purchasing the dells or any IPS monitor for that matter is it better to go with dual link dvi cable or it really does not matter?

Ashafiq3

Honorable
May 10, 2013
I actually have two monitors set up, one is the ASUS vg248qe, now that's a 144 hz 1 ms response time, then I have the dell u2312hm right next to it. What I do now is use the ASUS as my main monitor and play bf3 on that monitor because the refresh rate can keep up with the frames I get in that game and it's very smooth. But I use the dell for games like league of legends, guild wars 2, anything that I don't mind just playing at a 60 fps cap. I love the colors on the dell, and I love the viewing angles, for that reason It's a great monitor, but I wouldn't be playing my first person shooters on it. But if you're okay with the 60hz and 1 ms response time, everything else about this monitor is superb.