Correct stock RAM and CPU settings please?

dnalevy

Honorable
May 29, 2013
Hi everyone!
My first post here!

I have a Gigabyte GA-EP35DS3P motherboard, Intel Q8200 quad core CPU and 2X corsair CM2X2048-8500c5c 2GB RAM modules (i.e. 4GB RAM altogether).
I never had a stability issue until recently when I started video rendering (probably the first time I've actually used more than 2GB or so) where the system freezes out completely in the middle of Handbrake rendering a video.
I also found Windows Memory Diagnostics and memtest86 freezing a short way into their tests.
I've tested both RAM modules individually in both RAM slots with no errors or freeze ups.

I'm running the RAM at 1066MHZ which is what it is rated for and really don't want to drop down to 800MHZ.

I got an improvement by setting the DDR2 OverVoltage Control to +0.3 (i.e. 2.10V) which is what the sticks are rated for. I also set the RAM timings manually to 5-6-6-18 as printed on the stick and upped the MCH (Northbridge) OverVoltage Control to +0.1 (also tried +0.2 and +0.3).

Now Handbrake renders large files without freezing but if I open say FireFox, Thunderbird, Word 2010 and play a video whilst handbrake is running-the PC freezes up.

Whats bothering me more is that Windows diagnostics and MEMTEST86 both still freeze, albeit further in to the test.

I increased the CPU Vcore to 1.2V but feel I'm groping around in the dark on the CPU voltage and other settings.

I do believe its a question of getting the correct settings for either the RAM or CPU or both as it seems these Gigabyte boards don't detect the correct stable stock settings. What voltage should the Q8200 be run at at stock speed?

Let me clarify, I want to run the RAM at its rated speed of 1066MHZ and I'm not trying to overclock at all.

I know the Q8200 isn't a brilliant CPU and the P35 isn't amazing either but for the months I've had the system I've found it very responsive, snappy and powerful even under load.

I very much appreciate any help.

Thanks!

Oh and I forgot to mention I have the stock Intel HS and fan.

Legohouse

Honorable
May 13, 2013
Hello,

I do not believe this is a memory or CPU setting issue. Video rendering is known to utilize the most resources of CPU and memory. However, it is a memory intensive task so upgrading the memory to 8GB is the probably the best option. Also you could overclock your CPU provided you have a decent cooling system.

You can find the compatible memory HERE!!

Hope that helps.

dnalevy

Honorable
May 29, 2013
I've tried overclocking the CPU but can't get stability on even the smallest increase in FSB, when the temps show very low.
Task manager shows only around 3GB RAM being used when it was freezing.

Legohouse

Honorable
May 13, 2013

Hello there!! :hello:

Well, I would suggest you to try the memory upgrade first and then if the result is not as you have expected then maybe you could try for the Overclocking of CPU. I wish I could help you with the overclocking of your CPU but i'm kinda amateur in that field. So try asking about it in the CPU forum.