ATI/AMD vs NVIDIA - why I will no longer buy ATI

Which has caused you more problems (driver crashes and BSOD's)

• NVIDIA graphics

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • ATI graphics

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Intel on board graphics

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

pbug56

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2012
I used to be thrilled by AMD's David versus Goliath fight against Intel for CPU's. I figured that the main result was that we got better CPU's for our money and computing needs. And the same with ATI versus NVIDIA. Unfortunately, I've really been turned off by ATI graphics.

The problem - TDR errors. I've experienced TDR errors with BSOD's ONLY on ATI systems, and far too frequently to keep count. I've found ways to reduce the frequency. I cut back on UAC control on Win 7 to turn off that absurd screen blackout you get - on one older PC with an ATI AGP card, I got a TDR BSOD almost every time. And I'd had problems with the ATI graphics under WinXP as well. BTW, turning UAC blackouts off cleared much of the TDR BSOD problem, but not all. And yes, I've kept up the driver versions.

A year ago I got a HP DV7 as a warranty replacement. It had hybrid ATI Intel graphics - and despite decades of IT experience, had no idea of what I was getting myself into. I found that Chrome would use the ATI graphics and I'd then get the same old TDR BSOD's. I had to force Chrome to only use Intel. Then came IE10 for Win 7, and I found out the hard way that IE10 for Win 7 was not compatible with this setup. I reported it to MS, and got a confirmation from them a day later, then eventually found the KB article on the subject. That was 2 plus months ago and I've heard nothing from HP, Microsoft or ATI/AMD on fixes for the problem.

In contrast, I have a very old laptop (HP DV9000) running Win 7 with Nvidia graphics; it's not much of a system by today's standards but one thing I have not seen problems with are the graphics hardware or drivers. I have a desktop system I built myself with an NVIDA card on an Asus mobo and I72-600k. Regular Nvidia driver updates, but no noticable problems with the Nvidia graphics except maybe one bad driver release.

I know I'm not the only one - the question - how many of you have seen the same issues with ATI?

pbug56

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2012
To add a bit more, there are ongoing threads on HP's own forums where people are upset about the inability to get updated drivers to certain hybrid ATI Intel based laptops. Some laptops like mine had their last ATI drivers released by HP apparently before the laptop went on the market, even though ATI had released newer drivers since. HP would need to take those newer ATI drivers and package them with the Intel drivers and the switching tools, which has not happened.

Vyrisus

Honorable
May 31, 2013
I've gotten BSODs on both in the past. I really don't think Nvidia's drivers are leaps and bounds better than AMD's/ATI's. I've had issues with both companies. For example, how about that annoying glitch with Nvidia cards in Oblivion where the screen blacks out for a second during the prologue when NPCs are on the screen. And it does this repeatedly. I played Oblivion for hundreds of hours, so I saw it plenty. ATI cards did not exhibit this issue.

That's just one example. If I really sat down and thought about it, I could come up with various annoyances I've experienced with both companies' drivers. Though I can say that right now I'm experiencing 0 issues with my Radeon card. I have really enjoyed various offerings from both companies, (ATI 9800pro, NV 7950GT, 9800GTX, and my current Radeon 7950.) I won't rail on either company because both have given me fits at various times in the past, depending on the game and depending on the driver version.

Mutant_Guy

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2013
in my experience BSOD will be
ATI > NVIDIA > INTEL

I mistakenly marked to nvidia in the poll thinking "which is best" is the question. Sorry