PCI-E 2 PSU OK for PCI-E 3 graphics card?

DKDKDK

Honorable
May 30, 2013
Hello, I have built a new system, using a friends old PCI-E 2.0 graphics card and now I'm thinking a new graphics card might be nice.

The new card is a ASUS nvidia GTX660 o/c and it says it needs "up to 150W 1 additional 6 pin PCIe power required", it's PCI-E 3.0.

Spec link www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/GTX660DC2O2GD5/#specifications

I have an Enermax Modu 82+ 625W EMD625AWT PSU and it comes with cable EMC014, which is 6+2P PCI-E 2.0 cable.

Can I use this PCI-E 2.0 power supply with the new PCI-E 3.0 card? If not, will I have to get a new PSU as well?

Thanks in advance :)

[My setup is MSI Z77A-GD65, i5 3750K, 8Gb 1600 RAM]

DKDKDK

Honorable
May 30, 2013
Thanks :) something else I'm curious about. I know it's getting on a bit now, the PSU, but it says on the box, 10P and 12P for possible upcoming connector generations. Are those ever likely?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If you're referring to the 12 pin connectors on the PSU for "future" graphic cards and processor power, I doubt it. The trend is for doing more with less power rather than more power. Today's cards w/a single 6 pin connector for instance, can outperform a card from a few years ago that required 2 x 6 pin connectors. And Intel's 35W processors are outperforming 125W processors of a few year ago, as well.

There may be a situation where you would need to feed several cards, in which case multiple connectors would be needed. But a 625W PSU isn't going to be able to power more than one hi-performance card or a couple mid range cards.