Asus Teases New 'Formula' Haswell-Based Board

Status
Not open for further replies.
one thing I've been curious about is that ASUS hybrid VRM heat-spreader. by the looks of their z87 ROG boards, they've dropped that design, whereas MSI and Gigabyte seem to have started doing that on their high-end boards. I wonder what made ASUS drop it...

WithoutWeakness

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
I wonder what the Z87 Formula will have that justifies it's place between the new Z87 Hero and the Z87 Extreme. The Z87 Hero comes with the same SupremeFX audio package shown here. The Z87 Formula may bring the mSATA/mPCIe combo card from the Z87 Extreme or possibly a Thunderbolt port. ASUS must be doing something to differentiate the boards but unless this has some really compelling feature(s) that the Z87 Hero doesn't have while still being priced well below the flagship Z87 Extreme then I can't imagine anyone buying it.

tului

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010

If you mean as on the Maximus V, it blocked me being able to use an H80 with both fans on both the top AND back of a large case. Versus how many will actually use that crap, I imagine it garnered several complaints. I used my dremel tool to saw the damn nubs off so my H80 would fit. Not everyone has the time or tools to do so.

buynz

Honorable
May 30, 2013
Er Asus launched the Maximus V Formula motherboard featuring a LGA1155 socket for Intel second and third-generation Core i7/ i5/ i3/Pentium/Celeron processors. Maybe it is a good news.

Grandmastersexsay

Honorable
May 16, 2013
Anyone know what the release date will be on the Maximus VI Extreme?

I thought they would be coming out on Monday just like Haswell is, but from the sounds of this article, it sounds like it could be a few more weeks. That would be very annoying, and would probably result in me buying a board from another manufacturer.

huh, interesting. Never owned the Maximus V so I wouldn't know, but it sure sounds like a good reason to drop the nubs.

personally I'm only interested because I plan on going full custom water with Haswell, and well, if the mobo came with a chipset block with fittings, I would use it, if it doesnt, then oh well LOL. though it's looking more and more like I'll go with one of the MSI boards. their z87 boards are looking damn nice right now

Status
Not open for further replies.