Sign in with
Your question

Uninstalled my video driver with aim of updating, this failed, now I'm stuck

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 30, 2013 1:49:02 PM

Hello guys and gals, could do with some help,

Basically I wanted to update my video driver (I have a Windows XP) so I went to my computer, properties, hardware, Device Manager, Display Adapters, and then decided to Uninstall my VIA Chrome9 HC IGP Family driver with the aim of updating it with a driver on the S3 (S3 are apparently the manufacturer's) website, because I read on a howto site that this is how you update your drivers, one should install ones current one first in order so that they do not conflict. So I uninstalled and then decided to try and update it by downloading a driver from the s3 website here: http://www.s3graphics.com/en/drivers/index.aspx

So I must admit I'm a novice with computers, I downloaded the one which said Chrome 500 Series: Windows XP Driver. Other details of this one I tried to install say;
"README.TXT

Version: 6.14.10.0701
Version Date: 07/19/2012
Release Date: 07/26/2012
Microsoft Windows XP WHQL

S3 GRAPHICS CHROME 500 Series DISPLAY DRIVER
FOR WINDOWS XP

OPERATING SYSTEMS

Windows XP with Service Pack 3
(HD Audio requires SP3)
DirectX Version 9.0c
___________________"

When I ran it, it stopped half way into the installation and said "Setup was unable to complete the installation. Check the progress log in your Windows director for more details. (-5)->C:\WINDOWS\s3iscfg.log"

Then I decided to restart my computer, only to find that all of the images were HUGE, and the resolution had changed. I've looked back to see if I have my original driver, the VIA Chrome9 HC IGP Family driver, but it is gone, as is the Display Adapters tab on my Deice Manager.

Instead whenever I reboot my computer and login, I get a prompt which says

"Found New Hardware Wizard

Welcome to the Found New Hardware Wizard

This wizard helps you to install software for:

Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

If your hardware came with an installation CD or floppy disk, insert it now."

And so on.

I don't have any such CD. I am lost and would appreciate any help, if anything my computer is far worse than it was at the beginning and I can tell the performance is far more laggy and the resolution is still messed up.

Any help would be most appreciated, and do feel free to ask any questions if you need any more information. Thank you so much!!
May 31, 2013 7:56:36 AM

This is my reply to (for some reason it says my solution, but this is my reply);

smeezekitty said:
Try the drivers here: http://www.via.com.tw/en/support/drivers.jsp

Although I would like to note that windows usually keeps uninstalled drivers in the driver cache. Usually if you go through the new hardware wizard it will reinstall it.

Thank you so much for your reply!

Just a quick question about the second thing you mentioned as I might rather want to try that option before installing a driver from the VIA site you linked.

How do I find this driver cache? I've clicked next before whenever this New Hardware Wizard pops up, but because I have no CD or anything, nothing happens. Any elucidation on that issue would be much appreciated, otherwise I will take your first piece of advice and download from the VIA site you linked.

Update:

Also, do you mind advising me on what driver I should pick on VIA Drivers Download?

I've chosen Microsoft Windows, Windows XP, though I'm not sure what should be put in step 3, am I looking for an "Integrated Graphics Driver"? And then from the list of suggestions in step 4, what should I be looking for? I'm so sorry about this, I'm not the best with computers.
Related resources
May 31, 2013 8:08:22 AM

C:\windows\system32\drivers
and
C:\windows\system32\driverstore

But if it doesn't happen automatically, it probably won't work unfortunately.
May 31, 2013 8:50:41 AM

smeezekitty said:
C:\windows\system32\drivers
and
C:\windows\system32\driverstore

But if it doesn't happen automatically, it probably won't work unfortunately.

Dear Smeezekitty,
in the system 32 folder there are two distinct things,

One is a folder called "drivers", I don't entirely know what I'm looking for there,
interesting there is a folder called "DRVSTORE" and it is in blue font, unlike the other folders which are in black font, and all the files inside this folder are also in blue font, which I don't entirely understand.

I think I will opt for your second suggestion but would appreciate advise on what needs to be downloaded from there, I don't know what I should put in regards to the 3rd option and then what download to pick from the 4th option.

Thank you!
May 31, 2013 9:54:56 AM

you're running xp, just do a restore, hon. Set your system back to, say yesterday, before it goofed. Then proceed more slowly with the excellent advice above.
I don't know this company your drivers are from, but nvidia, who makes my drivers, has an option called "clean install" which takes the old out and installs the new so that I don't muck things up. Perhaps your vendor has something similar?
May 31, 2013 10:02:13 AM

vannoying said:
you're running xp, just do a restore, hon. Set your system back to, say yesterday, before it goofed. Then proceed more slowly with the excellent advice above.
I don't know this company your drivers are from, but nvidia, who makes my drivers, has an option called "clean install" which takes the old out and installs the new so that I don't muck things up. Perhaps your vendor has something similar?

Hello! I have tried numerous system restores but they always fail for some reason :(  I even made a restore point before uninstalling the video driver and yet still I cannot restore back to this point. And I do not believe I have that option you're suggesting. Thank you for the reply though!
May 31, 2013 10:19:04 AM

Can you post the computer or motherboard model? Maybe I can lookup the video chipset.
May 31, 2013 10:30:46 AM

smeezekitty said:
Can you post the computer or motherboard model? Maybe I can lookup the video chipset.

I take it finding the motherboard model involves me opening it up? I can do that if you need more information.

May 31, 2013 10:36:37 AM

Try CPU-Z - sometimes it can read the motherboard model.
May 31, 2013 10:38:50 AM

Different said:
vannoying said:

Hello! I have tried numerous system restores but they always fail for some reason :(  I even made a restore point before uninstalling the video driver and yet still I cannot restore back to this point. And I do not believe I have that option you're suggesting. Thank you for the reply though!

Ok. On XP, click Start. Choose Run. In that box type Restore then click enter.
This will open a new window with a bunch of files in it. One of the XP updates broke the pretty icons way back in the day, so choose rstrui.exe this is a microsoft file and will open a page that has two choices on it...1) Restore my computer to an earlier ....(blah, blah) and 2) Create a restore point...(more blah, blah). One thing to note, if you have use this to restore to an earlier configuration, there will appear an option here called Reverse previous restoration. (Who said there's no such thing as "backsies"?)
I hope it fixes for you.
May 31, 2013 10:46:01 AM

smeezekitty said:

Thank you :) 

I'm not sure if any of those reveal what the motherboard is?
May 31, 2013 10:49:38 AM

vannoying said:
Different said:
vannoying said:

Ok. On XP, click Start. Choose Run. In that box type Restore then click enter.
This will open a new window with a bunch of files in it. One of the XP updates broke the pretty icons way back in the day, so choose rstrui.exe this is a microsoft file and will open a page that has two choices on it...1) Restore my computer to an earlier ....(blah, blah) and 2) Create a restore point...(more blah, blah). One thing to note, if you have use this to restore to an earlier configuration, there will appear an option here called Reverse previous restoration. (Who said there's no such thing as "backsies"?)
I hope it fixes for you.

Thank you for the speedy reply! :) 

When I click rstrui.exe it takes me to the system restore window which I have used before. By it fails restoring, I mean that when my computer restarts and I log back in, there is a notice which says that the restoration failed, or that I could not restore to the earlier time. But I have not tried the option "undo my last restoration", so maybe I should try that? I will try this and then get back to you.

update: It still did not work :( , it says "System Restore was unable to reverse the following restoration" and "No changes have been made to your computer".
May 31, 2013 1:37:45 PM

when you get your driver situation resolved, you should maybe run hijack this and avg to see if something naughty is hanging out in your registry. some viruses 'don't allow restore to complete on account of it would remove them.
The nastiest Trojan I ever got was just such a one. I hope this is not the case for you. XP is close to end of life, so it is sometimes hard to get the support you need.

Good luck. PM me if you need help using hijack this - should it be required.
May 31, 2013 2:01:08 PM

vannoying said:
when you get your driver situation resolved, you should maybe run hijack this and avg to see if something naughty is hanging out in your registry. some viruses 'don't allow restore to complete on account of it would remove them.
The nastiest Trojan I ever got was just such a one. I hope this is not the case for you. XP is close to end of life, so it is sometimes hard to get the support you need.

Good luck. PM me if you need help using hijack this - should it be required.

Hi! Well I'm running a Malwarebytes scan right now to see if there are any such viruses. Hopefully there are none, or they are making my life even more frustrating :(  Thanks for the luck! I hope this issue will be resolved soon.

June 1, 2013 6:38:00 AM

smeezekitty said:

Any further help smeezekitty? Though do take your time, don't want to rush you.
June 1, 2013 4:03:35 PM

smeezekitty said:

Did you try CPU-Z.

Post the content of the mainboard tab

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://i35.tinypic....

My apologies! My screenshots were not of the mainboard. The details are;

Motherboard
Manufacturer - MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD
Model - MS-7253 1.0
Chipset - VIA K8M90CE Rev. 00
Southbridge VIA VT8237A Rev. 00
LPCIO Winbond W83627EHF

BIOS
Brand - Phoenix Technologies, LTD
Version - V1.6
Date - 08/16/2007

Graphic Interface
Version - AGP Version 3.0
Transfer Rate - 8x Max. Supported - 8x
Side Band - enabled

Thank you :) 
June 1, 2013 4:47:13 PM

smeezekitty said:
This should be the correct driver: http://www.viaarena.com/Driver/K8M890CE-K8N890CE_200001...

Oh my God!! It actually installed it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU'RE AMAZING! THANK YOU SO SO SO MUCH!!! I hope much good comes to you for such kindness and patience with me and for solving my problem!!

If I may just ask one more thing, is it possible at all to update my driver, or maybe should I just keep this one that has now successfully installed, because my initial wish was to successfully update or improve my video driver which of course lead to my current problem which has now been solved. But regardless, thank you so much smeezekitty!
June 1, 2013 4:53:38 PM

Different said:
smeezekitty said:
This should be the correct driver: http://www.viaarena.com/Driver/K8M890CE-K8N890CE_200001...

YOU'RE AMAZING! THANK YOU SO SO SO MUCH!!! I hope much good comes to you for such kindness and patience with me and for solving my problem!!

If I may just ask one more thing, is it possible at all to update my driver, or maybe should I just keep this one that has now successfully installed, because my initial wish was to successfully update or improve my video driver which of course lead to my current problem which has now been solved. But regardless, thank you so much smeezekitty!

That should be the newest version available to windows XP.

Your welcome.
June 1, 2013 4:56:55 PM

smeezekitty said:
Different said:
smeezekitty said:

That should be the newest version available to windows XP.

Your welcome.

Thank you again!! :)  Have a lovely day.
!