No CPU fan spinning/ No POST after one single successful POST

Glastium

Honorable
May 30, 2013
Hi everyone, I am looking for a solution to my problem when I am building up my system. Sorry for my poor English ;). This is the first time I've encountered a problem in the past few years... well it's kind of odd.

As usual, I started with a breadboard. Plugged cpu and mem in, connected CPU fan, speaker, motherboard power, eATX power (8-pin), VGA cord to a monitor and tried to start it by shorting the PWN pins. At the first time the cpu fan didn't move and it took me ~10secs to realize what was going on. I hurried to cut off the power but I didn't know whether it could have fried my CPU. But it seems luckily, after I reseated the CPU fan, the system booted successfully, beeped, and monitor shows "BIOS: No booting device. Press OK to enter BIOS settings." I was relieved.

Then I started to put everything into the chasis. I unplugged the power cords and the VGA cord but kept other stuff as they were. Installing the I/O shield at the rear side took me some efforts, and I think (believe?) the mobo scratched the chasis for a time or two. After putting the mobo in, I connected one hard drive and corresponding power/data cords. Also I put the other previous power cords back on. Then I tried to start it (by shorting PWN pins, again).

But nothing happened. No fan spinning, no beep, no POST. Had to remove all hard drive related cords, still nothing. After a mental struggle, I retrieved the mobo out of the chasis, tried to boot with the exact same setting as a breadboard, nothing. I don't get this at all.

I performed some rudimentary tests after this. PSU seems to be working fine. Shorted one green and one black, with chasis fan connected, it is working. As a state of breadboard, shorted one green and one black on the back of the connector, CPU fan is working, but still no beep, no POST. Shorted PWN pins, CPU fan doesn't run. Also I tried to switch the mems, removing mems, changing to my old mems, nothing happened.

I started to think maybe I did something horrible to the mobo during the installation. I checked both sides, no caps exploded, no visible scratch at all.

For this moment I am thinking about RMAing the mobo but I'm not really sure whether it IS mobo's problem. It can be CPU's fault. Or PSU's. Unfortunately I don't have any existing system at hand so I can't do any swapping tests :<. Or did I miss anything?

Thanks.