Will this damage my graphics cards fans?

Could this potentionally damage the graphics cards fans?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

JFV

Honorable
May 31, 2013
Components In Question
7870 Tahiti LE Ghz Edition XFX card with Double D fans;
Thermalright TY-143, 120mm, 31-130CFM, Single Intake on the side window.

My main concern
I'm concerned that the amount of air the intake fan directly exerts onto the graphics card (around 1-2 inches from the graphics card) with a high static pressure level could possibly damage the graphics cards fans and/or the bearings in them as the fans may end up running quicker than normal.

Side View
1_zps4e0c7328.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Birds View

Side Note:
If you're looking for a fan, do not buy a TY-143 it's just too powerful.
I bought them as a joke, mainly to test, see and hear what a 140mm fan on a 120mm mount that puts out 130CFM and 45DB fan would perform, to conclude;

It's ridiculous.

In advanced - Thank you for any contributions.

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
Intake fans do intake other things than just air, also dust particles, humidity droplets during the summer or even sweat from the user!! I'd be a bit wary about using an intake fan over the top of a vide card, surely the video card has its on fan? If you own a pet, pet hair is a really big issue with intake fans.

Better to reverse it and make it an out take fan to exhaust the heat being drawn from the video card. You got air holes in the back of the Pc case, that is enough for ventilation, you don't need to have a huge fan blowing air into the case.

Actually, considering the amount of ventilation holes in your PC case, I doubt that you'd even need the fan at all.

JFV

Honorable
May 31, 2013

Yeah, I had an inkling it was just me worrying but I'd rather be safe than sorry and its a chance to join the community so why not? I aprreciate all the replies. Thank you everybody.

JFV

Honorable
May 31, 2013

Yeah, I understand this - I've moved the fan to front intake (in a Corsair 300R (W)) The front, bottom and sides of the case have dust filters which although won't stop 100% of the dust it will certainly do the majority, furthermore I have my PC raised of the floor on a mahogany desk which helps prevent dust intake.

I then mod/fitted a corsair 140mm fan in the front 3x5.25 bays to help carry airflow directly to the exhaust which will be exemplified once the second Thermalright TY-143 arrives and is fitted to the top of the case; Something worth noting -You cannot mount 2x TY-143's in the TOP or FRONT of a Corsair 300R due to the way the fan mounts clash.

Just thought I'd list what I did and feel was my best solution to get good airflow to each components.

Thank you for the reply.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
@JFV
If it's any consolation, my previous system system was equipped with 2 x cards in SLI and a 140mm side fan drawing air in over the cards. (They tended to get warm without the fan) The system ran almost continually from morning to night for several years. Never an issue with dust, etc that may have been pulled into the case. In fact, that was with 2 Siamese cats in the house. Every so often, I would open the case and blow out any dust I noticed accumulating... which is always a good idea anyway.

ihog

Distinguished

No, side intake fans will help GPU temps. Dust will accumulate in your case basically no matter what you do.

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
Actually, if the rpm of that big fan is high, it might cause the fan on the video card to slow down impacting on its performance causing heat issues.
If the fan is connected via mollex cable, it would need its own cable line and not to be connected along with any hdd's as the v/a is different and will cause lagging and mini-freezes on the hdd as well as internmittent fan speeds as each device vies for the v/a of the PSU.

Side fans of that size is tantamount to a lot of dust intake moreso than just the holes in the back of the PC.

Can you unplug that fan and then monitor the temps in the bios to see if their really is any difference?

JFV

Honorable
May 31, 2013

The second fan arrived, I placed it in the top exhausting along with one installed as an intake at the front both pushing and pulling 130CFM each as this meant the intake air blowing through the GPU (from the front) was being pulled up through the case and along the RAM/CPU/FSB Heatsinks which were both furthermore sandwiched in-between an extra 140mm intake (modified and fitted in the 3x5.25" bay) which furthermore pushes air directly at the RAM/CPU/FSB Heatsinks which then get's exhausted by a standard 120mm Exhaust fan in the rear and a TY-143 exhausting through the top.

I'm using a Sabertooth 990X R2.0 which has incredibly good thermal controls, Using Thermal radar the temps at 100% fan speeds Idle are 25-27'C after 2 minutes or so.

Full load, Hitman Absolution Ultra Benchmark/In game Ultra settings (including 16xASF and SSAO) 35-45'C which I'm very happy with; I could probably get lower temps if I set the all fans to 100% but it literally sounds like a plain taking off, I do when I use my headphones as it's like a Ferrari, you just have to rev the engine now and then.