CPU overclock stability

SGTSLY

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013
I have recently used Asus AI suite II to overclock my i7 3770k to 4.4ghz since i am a complete noob to overclocking. After letting AI suite do its thing i went into the bios to check if the settings had changed and they had. But one thing i realised was that the cpu voltage was set to 1.325. After i poked around on the internet a little bit more i found that other people were able to get similar or better oveclocks with lower voltages. So far i havent had any crashes and was wondering if the voltage was fine or if i should try reducing it.

I am using a corsair H80 cooler and the maximum temperature i had was 77 degrees while running prime 95 for about 25 minutes. Are my temperatures and voltage fine?

Thank you in advance :)

kogut

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2008
Your situation is why you'll read a lot of people saying to not go with the 'automatic' overclocks. Typically, those features will tend to go with more power than is actually required so that you boot into a very stable environment. I'd suggest that you read up on how to adjust the voltage yourself so that you can find a lower stable voltage. This will get you back a few C of temperature.

So you're fine, but you could do better!

First question, what motherboard do you have?

Your voltage is okay, but as you read elsewhere, it could be lower. What comes of having higher than necessary voltage on an overclock is generally more heat. That's why you're seeing 77C during a stress test.

77C is completely fine for your CPU during a 100% stress test. The chip can handle 105C before it automatically backs itself down. I'm of the opinion that anything under 80C on a 100% stress test is perfectly fine for an i7. Opinions differ around a good temp for an OC, but it's a pretty personal decision that everyone has to make on their own. Remember that your CPU is never going to see the kinds of loads that you get in a 100% stress test environment.

If you take some time to do some research (aka read forums & guides), you can learn how to slowly drop the voltage down at small intervals until you get to a point where you will crash or have errors during a 100% stress test. Once you get that point, bump it back up a notch or two, and enjoy your free performance boost.

SGTSLY

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013
Thanks for your reply, the motherboard im using is the asus maximus v formula. I will do more research regarding my voltage. Could i go into the bios and start reducing the voltage without changing anything and then run a few stress tests like you usually would while overclocking or would i have to change some other settings as well.

kogut

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2008
Do a search for that board and an overclocking guide. I think there's one up on the ASUS ROG forum. Should get you headed in the right direction.