Can't Sign in with Waterfox

Flame Soulis

Honorable
May 11, 2013
I recently reinstalled Windows 7 (long story) and upon trying to sign back into Tom's Hardware, I either have the sign in hang (just continues doing the swirl login thing) or reports to [http://www.tomshardware.com/community/signin?iframe=0&socialProxy=0].

The plugins I have active on Waterfox are Adblock Plus and Ghostery (others aren't relevant since they only effect GUI stuff, like a QR Creator). This version of Waterfox appears to be built on 18.0.1 of Firefox. I was able to 'sign in' before when I registered but that was due to the validation link, so I do not know if this issue existed before I registered.

I was able to 'log-in' by requesting a password reset, using the link provided, which auto signed me in.

Solution
Ghostery can interfere with the sign in process if you sign in from the forum (it tries to set a 3rd party cookie with a session ID for the main site which gets blocked), but it shouldn't matter if you sign in from the home page, so try that if you haven't already. You should first clear any existing cookies from tomshardware.com, tomshardware.co.uk and bestofmedia.com though.

randomizer

Champion
Ghostery can interfere with the sign in process if you sign in from the forum (it tries to set a 3rd party cookie with a session ID for the main site which gets blocked), but it shouldn't matter if you sign in from the home page, so try that if you haven't already. You should first clear any existing cookies from tomshardware.com, tomshardware.co.uk and bestofmedia.com though.

Solution

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
Great response from randomizer, and spot-on. Ghostery has been a thorn in the side of login for a handful of Tom's users. Whitelist us if you can - it'll make life easier, and we promise not to hunt you down and try to sell you timeshares using your private browsing information. (Note - ad free forums!)