Passive/Silent Video Card for Star Trek Online?

Dexan

Honorable
May 31, 2013
Hello.

Can anyone recommend a silent(heatsink/passive cooling) video card that will run Star Trek Online with medium to high settings? I do not overclock. For the record,
I have...

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700
500W psu
8 gb RAM

For now, STO is the only game I intend to play with this PC. I had played this, as well as WoW prior, with an ATI Radeon HD 4650, with a Zalman VNF100( http://www.zalman.co.kr/global/product/Product_Read.php?Idx=147 ) Both games ran flawlessly for over 2 years.

I was basically looking for a passive equivalent to the 4650, hopefully something in the $60-$120 price range.

Thank you.

Dexan

Honorable
May 31, 2013

Thanks for both suggestions. I have considered that particular card. Unfortunately, the dual slot design make it impossible to fit in my case. It's too bad really because this would have been perfect otherwise. I should have noted before that it needs to be low profile as that's all that will fit.

The reason I want passive cooling is simply because I prefer the computer working silently.

This is supposedly the fastest video card with passive cooling, but it looks like its outside your price range:
PowerColor HD 7850 SCS3 passive 1 GB
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Powercolor/HD_7850_SCS3_passive/

Yes, that's true, but the OP want low profile card, so I think that card wouldn't fit into OP case.
Plus, the card could become pretty hot, since it's only passive cooling. :)

Dexan

Honorable
May 31, 2013

I haven't had much success finding this online, at least not in any retailer that ships to Canada(I'm in Canada). However, I think it would indeed be too large for my case anyway.

I am willing to go higher then my previously stated price range, even up to $150 or so, for a passive gpu to play this game.

Thanks for both suggestions.

These days if you would lock the fan of GPU so it won't reach the level at which it causes noticeable noise, you can effectively make a normal GPU run dead silent. Anywhere 50% should not make any noise at all ...

Passive ones are rare and usually never worth it.

TRENDING THREADS