Sign in with
Your question

My (over -.-) $400 gaming computer build! rating and really helpfull criticism would be use full.

Last response: in Systems
May 31, 2013 9:09:46 PM

Mother Board- IGABYTE GA-78LMT-USB3 AM3+ AMD 760G HDMI USB 3.0 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard -$65 after rebate....$55----newegg

Ram- Kingston HyperX Blu KHX1600C9D3B1/4G 4GB 1600MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 DIMM - $32 ---amazon

Processor -AMD Athlon II X4 640 3 GHz Processor - Quad-core- $75---Newegg

Graphic card- MSI R7770-PMD1GD5 Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - $100 after rebate $80 ---newggg

Case- Xigmatek ASGARD 381 CCC-AD38BT-U03 Black Steel / Plastic / Metal Mesh ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - $25 ----newegg

CO-9050006-WW Corsair Accessory Air Series SP120 120MM Twin Pack CPU- $28 ----Amazon

windows 7 64 bit operating system $73

power supply-CORSAIR Builder Series CX500 500W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - $60 after rebate .... $40 ----Newegg

Western Digital Caviar Blue 500 GB, 7200 RPM,3.5" (WD5000AAKS) Hard Drive- $45 ---- Ebay

Total cost- $453....Shucks.

I started out trying to figure out on how to build a good gaming computer cheap, so it would last me 2 to 3 years. but i didn't know where to start, so i started looking for $200 gaming builds...which completely backfired be cause $200 wouldn't even give me squat diddly doo, so i doubled the price to $400, and started looking for $400 gaming builds, i found some that i really liked and posted them to tom's hard ware and the oven got good criticism on it. After changing several parts, i manged it get a build that i really liked thanks to everyone on the forums.

Though i feel as if this build is bad. Like when i build it...it's going to be crappy...really crappy...and i can't really go past 400...but thanks to some family members i can afford going over my build by like 50...making me pay at least 300 for it all, which really requires me to slave for about an hour, doing home or yard work, and selling...a handful of precious items...(good bye dragon box dvds...I'll miss you) and several console video games (don't play em much).

Although I'm looking for no more than some High-low setting games on 720p, and really mostly medium- mid or med- high games still on 720p. If there is Some people out there who built a $400 gaming computer and uses it, i would greatly like them telling me on how well it plays games.

I really want the best of the best criticism one my first gaming computer build.

If this goes well, and the computer works out, I'll be back in 3 maybe 4 years for my $1000 gaming build hehehe.
May 31, 2013 9:23:46 PM

With that hardware you'll definately be able to enjoy gaming on some level as long as your willing to understand that your modest setup will have limitations. But I don't see why it wouldn't be a capable gamer at 1360x720 res or even 1600x900 in medium (or low if you choose a higher resolution) settings. With the right monitor you'll be ok. As far as everyday use goes like surfing the web, watching netflix or similar style of videos you'll be more than fine.
June 1, 2013 9:19:20 AM

It sounds like you will have a very capable gamer for that price. If you really want a good setup for your money, use craigslist. Be very wary of scams but you can get high-end last-generation parts for very good deals as people just want to get some of their money back when they upgrade. I am going for high-end performance and have put together an awesome computer on a grad-student's budget, which is painfully low. Keep your eyes open and be patient for the best deals you can find.
June 1, 2013 9:47:45 AM

That is a terrible CPU. get a phenom II 965
June 1, 2013 10:04:33 AM

He does have a point. Just realized it was not a phenom. I would definately get a phenom over an athlon, and that sure isn't a good price for a 5 year old+ architecture
June 1, 2013 4:33:34 PM

petriedish81 said:
He does have a point. Just realized it was not a phenom. I would definately get a phenom over an athlon, and that sure isn't a good price for a 5 year old+ architecture

yeah i was going for the Athlon because it was cheaper and there was a really big difference to the pair.
Plus the cheapest phenom i could find was around over 100...
June 1, 2013 4:49:03 PM

Use pcpartpicker. Get a used mobo+CPU. i saw a 6100+970 mobo for $120
June 18, 2013 8:31:04 PM

you can pick up an FX series quad core on craigslist for around $100 MAX .... will blow both a phenom and that athlon out of the water

other than the chip I think its a decent budget build but that processor is gonna be a major bottle kneck
June 18, 2013 8:35:56 PM

also..... are you really planning on buying a bran new copy of windows 7? Dont you have an old machine around that you can pull a CoA from, or check for a used copy on craigslist (being against piracy is understandable.... but buying a bran new copy is a bit of a waste)
June 19, 2013 8:46:26 AM

flushreviews said:
also..... are you really planning on buying a bran new copy of windows 7? Dont you have an old machine around that you can pull a CoA from, or check for a used copy on craigslist (being against piracy is understandable.... but buying a bran new copy is a bit of a waste)

I dont know what "Bran" is, do you mean Bran Flakes, the cereal?
You cannot take a copy from a old PC, the code is locked to the MOBO. Unless you use (Program Name Removed) to fake the codes, i would not try it. ISO files can be downloaded legally and are good for 30 days, but after that it shuts off.
June 19, 2013 12:43:08 PM

Master467 said:
flushreviews said:

I dont know what "Bran" is, do you mean Bran Flakes, the cereal?
You cannot take a copy from a old PC, the code is locked to the MOBO. Unless you use (Program Name Removed) to fake the codes, i would not try it. ISO files can be downloaded legally and are good for 30 days, but after that it shuts off.

I'm just going to save me a bit of time and work, and buy a computer with some some parts i need including windows 7.
June 22, 2013 10:16:52 AM

Buy used parts. My friend has a $400 budget and he is getting an i5 and 7850 because of used parts.
November 25, 2013 1:18:51 PM

Used and refurbished for the win! I just got a 765MB GTX 460 for $42 refurbished.
November 25, 2013 1:18:52 PM

Used and refurbished for the win! I just got a 765MB GTX 460 for $42 refurbished.
!