Is now a good time?

Velocinox

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2007
With haswell being launched tomorrow and the 700 series recently launched would now be a good time to build a high end system?

Being the first adopter on a new component can sometimes be bad what with new drivers, bios, and firmware potential problems with no established known fixes already in place.

But, building now would involve being a pioneer adopter in arguably the three most important components at once and on top of each new components own issues would bring a component compatibility three-way bugnanza. Once all is considered it seems to be a sort of an early adopter's perfect storm (in hell)

I enjoy building my own systems and have never had any problems I couldn't fix, but once built, I am also of the 'if it ain't broke, don't upgrade it' school. So I don't think I would enjoy an extended session of the 'is it this component or this component, or this AND this component' game.

That said, the question is pretty much this; Are the benefits of haswell + 700 worth waiting for until all of the undocumented 'features' to be found and improved, or would you suggest I just make a high end Ivy + 600 build instead?