Another Bug With IE7

Now can't sign in on the main page, just doesn't open up the fancy java login box or whatever you use. Forum will allow me to sign in, which seems to feed back to main page.

Also when trying to post a comment, i just get error sfPortal returned status code 500.

Sorry, but TH is going down hill faster than the CON/LIB coalition !

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
Disable Ghostery or white list us, if you have it set up in your browser. We did have a small hiccup recently with social sign-in, but most of our usual users weren't affected. Sign-in from the forum home page itself, which is www.tomshardware.com/forum/ and if this doesn't work, clear your cache. If that doesn't work, we can further diagnose the issue and get you properly situated.

-JP

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
Do you have java and javascript enabled? IE 7 should be rendering appropriately. We try to keep backwards compatibility to at least 2 versions back, but there's nothing new and super-fancy going on that would make it impossible for you to log in.

Yep, java and javscript installed, funny how the forums seem to be ok, yet the front page is causing all the issues, no doubt the adverts, as I still occasionally get IE asking me if I want to shutdown the running script as it is sucking up all CPU cycles.

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
Might be worthwhile to add to your whitelist. There are definitely site-supporting ads on the main front page - though the forums themselves are ad-free for all members, proud to say. :)

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
Ahh, increased security certainly makes it tougher to remedy.
I'll send along to the devs a request to make things a little more friendly for IE7 in the next round of compatibility optimization.