Why are AMD processors slower in gHz, in same range of PCs?

mitya33

Honorable
Jun 1, 2013
I am looking for a new (budget) desktop computer and one thing I've noticed is the AMD versions seem to have processors that run notably more slowly.

As an example, there's plenty of Acer Aspires with Intel I3s or I5s whose processors run at 3.3gHz.

But in the same range, an AMD machine runs at just 2.2gHz.

Does this matter? Why would this be the case?

I know CPU speed isn't everything (after all, the AMD is quad-core, the Intel dual) but it struck me.

Thanks in advance

mitya33

Honorable
Jun 1, 2013
Yes but this will probably be out of my budget (£350 tops). I was just wondering why an AMD A6 machine which is the same price and specs as an Intel I3 machine, would have a markedly lower processor speed - and, therefore, whether processor speed mattered that much.

X79

Honorable
Well there's different architectures.

I don't think you can say "Because X has higher Ghz, then it's better than Y".

Not between brands. But I think the AMD CPUs are better at OC'ing. Thus you can attain

higher GHz. Ghz can matter, if for example a game requires a certain amount.

mitya33

Honorable
Jun 1, 2013
@X79 - thanks. I wasn't meaning to boil processor comparison down to just a question of speed - I know that's naive. Nonetheless there's quite a difference in the speed so I was just wondering what sort of effect that might have.

Essentially, here's my deal: I'm a web developer, so the core of what I do involves only text editors and browsers, with occasional Photoshop. I'd like to play the odd game, but nothing cutting edge - GTA IV (not the latest one), as an example.

Thanks again.

X79

Honorable
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-2120 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor (£87.59 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: MSI H61M-P20 (G3) Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£32.99 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1333 Memory (£26.00 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£38.39 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GT 610 2GB Video Card (£35.50 @ CCL Computers)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 335 Upgraded ATX Mid Tower Case (£25.98 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: XFX 450W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£34.99 @ Maplin Electronics)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) (£63.59 @ Aria PC)
Total: £345.03
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-01 15:06 BST+0100)

Would do what you need it to I think.

X79

Honorable
Well you're already a tech savvy type. Building it yourself only really requires:

- Patience.

- Screwdriver (sometimes with a few different heads)

- Will to learn.

And as someone who works with software, it's good for you to get a better

understanding of the hardware with which you work. At least in my opinion.

Here just check these and you'll get some insights into how it is to build:

A quick show - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSNz6VVpWI8

A more lengthy build and explanation - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea_bs5G1yYU

It's like legos for adults !

nathanoakes

Honorable
May 31, 2013
Right, first off the top of the line AMD CPU is currently the FX8350 with 8 cores @4.2GHz. this costs less than half of your top budget. Second of all, the GHz matters in some cases but not in all. Typically the difference in clock speed is to do with the cores, e.g. a quad core might be sold slower than a dual core for heat purposes or something. This isn't always the case *looks at the 8350* but generally is. I think it's just a marketing thing really, because some have less cache, some have more, some might be faster to compensate for the cache etc. Go with the 8350 anyway.