I3-3225 temps at 50 degrees C while idle

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
Downloaded core temp today just out of curiosity, saw my core temperature on my processor was around 70 degrees celsius, i didnt think that was good an made a quick google search to make sure. Obviously (as i know now) thats too high. I opened up the computer and discovered the cpu fan wasnt on 100% and fixed it.
The temp is now around 45-52 degrees celsius while doing nothing on the desktop. Its better but from what i can tell its still too high! Why? This is at the load being 0-5%! There was no dust on the fan. Maybe its my thermal paste crap? Its a stock cooler and no ocing (obviously). How would i know the thermal paste stuff isnt right? When i run minecraft it jumps to 70-80! Maybe i should just buy another non-intel brand cooler and see how it goes? Maybe my cpu is just bad?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
The thermal paste may need replacing if it ran for some time not seated correctly and dried out a bit. If you just refastened the cooler, it may have acquired microscopic air pockets in the TIM. That would lessen the heat transfer between the CPU's heat spreader and the cooler.

Of course, be sure the cooler is indeed seated as it should be, and not still loose. Check the back of the MB and see if the black push-pins are fully opening the white feet behind the board.

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
Pretty sure the thermal paste is the issue, doesnt look right. Probably going to upgrade to an i5 anyways pretty soon.