• Passive Cooling

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other Type of Cooling

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Donald Bronson

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013
Take this as a challenge: design or comment on what would be needed to create the "perfect" cooling solution for a high-end rig which could be operated 24/7 without requiring constant attention. In essence, how far could you possibly go with cooling inside a single-width full-tower case and still be able to get the side panel back on? (I suppose external rads would be okay, but nothing you couldn't mod to be supported by the case, without it tipping over or failing under the weight).

If you want to use a double-width case in your idea, I can't stop you, but don't do the painfully obvious thing of just mounting a 6"x20"x20" heatsink on one side. If you're using that much real estate, it better be the coolest thing around (pun intended).

Would you use copper, silver, gold, aluminum, or a combination of these or other metals? Would you run solid copper heat pipes instead of water-cooling tubing? What else might you do?

Assume, for the sake of argument, that budget is no issue and that you have access to the most advanced manufacturing and modding equipment in the world. Feel free to discuss how you'd mod a processor or GPU (or any other part) to improve the cooling, if you had access to a full-blown nano-scale manufacturing facility; how you might include a wicked-cool-looking accordion-style pump or bubbling reservoir; the perfect fan that no one makes because it would cost to much, but that conceivably might be created by combining specs from several others; or anything else you can imagine.

Have fun, just stay within the realm of what is currently possible with today's technology (e.g., no internal fusion generators).

I'm eager to see what everyone comes up with...

Donald Bronson

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013

Alright, I'm seriously impressed. Did you manage to get all that in there with a motherboard? I didn't see one in the pictures. Also, what are all the heat pipes coming out the back? Is that to another case or an external radiator or something?

By the pictures, I can tell you didn't manage to fit all that in a single-width case. It looks like there's an external radiator, and maybe another case with the internals of the computer...am I right? Given the budget and prototyping resources, do you think that this system could be used to cool a single-width full-tower (or even smaller) PC (think Tiki), or, failing that, could the entire system be packed inside a double-width tower without all the external heatsinks and heat-piping? Finally, how much time did this take you, and how much did it set you back?

I'm sorry if I ask a lot of questions, but believe me, it's indicative of excitement. What you've got there looks really cool, and I want to know more about it!

Edit: Wow.

There is no motherboard in the TECBox or should I say TEC/RADBox, the TECs (Peltier Cooling) are cooling the CPU, and the side mounted Radiator is cooling the GPUs, in the main computer.

This picture is the tubing entering the main machine, I thought I had a better picture but I don't.

LgSLIView.jpg

The main machine and the TecRadBox next to it.

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p250/4ryan6/NewSetup_zpsd3add845.jpg[\img]

Regarding could it all be packed inside a double width tower?

Of course it could, if you find the right case to put it all inside of, but you're looking at around $500.00 + for the case itself.

Time wise is hard to say to get to this point, there was a lot of prior experimenting, but what you see regarding the TecBox itself was assembled in a day.

The total cost is cumulative as some parts were purchased over time, best thing to do is take a list of parts and price it out for what's available now.

Also you could just cool the CPU to cover it for overclocking, that would eliminate the GPU Rad, Reservoir, and extra Pump, and the full coverage GPU water blocks.

Regarding your thread title, "Most Extreme Cooling Setup Which Fits in a Case", unless you go with a case like a Mountain Mods or similar it would take 2 cases for this setup.

TRENDING THREADS