How to install an SSD on an older dell desktop that was running XP?

I recently bought a 128 gig Samsung 840 Pro SSD to use for my main hard drive. I have read some reviews that say you have to change your bios settings to change how the memory is written on the SSD before installing, and Windows XP does not allow that to happen. To go around this, so far I have bought a new HDD which will be later used for my storage of music, videos, etc. and installed Windows 7 on it. I now want to switch it out with my SSD and put the operating system on that. Do I still need to change any settings in my bios once I update to Windows 7? I want to make sure I dont mess anything up since this is my 1st time doing this.
4 answers Last reply
More about install ssd older dell desktop running
  1. you cant. there are no drivers and if your system doesnt support high precision events timers you wont be able to run vista, 7 or 8 stable.
    there are certain requirements to run your ssd. hardware wise it should be just a case of plugging it in and seeing if it gets detected by bios. the real problem is with the software. you defiantly wont find any ssd driver software for xp and as your system is old its likely that without some tweeking in bios you wont be able to run win 7...
    if it hadnt of been a dell i would say check the bios for hpet but its oem so that option is likely locked out... they do this to force you to upgrade when a new o.s comes out...
    your only real option if your bios is locked is to buy a new motherboard that supports win 7. you will then have the ability to install the ssd properly without issue.
  2. Currently I have windows 7 working on my dell, its a dell dimension E521, seems to be working great. So now the last step is to check if my bios is locked. I appologize if I sound like a newbie, but how could I check if its locked? Thank you btw for replying so quickly.

HEXiT said:
    you cant. there are no drivers and if your system doesnt support high precision events timers you wont be able to run vista, 7 or 8 stable.
    there are certain requirements to run your ssd. hardware wise it should be just a case of plugging it in and seeing if it gets detected by bios. the real problem is with the software. you defiantly wont find any ssd driver software for xp and as your system is old its likely that without some tweeking in bios you wont be able to run win 7...
    if it hadnt of been a dell i would say check the bios for hpet but its oem so that option is likely locked out... they do this to force you to upgrade when a new o.s comes out...
    your only real option if your bios is locked is to buy a new motherboard that supports win 7. you will then have the ability to install the ssd properly without issue.
  3. I was able to get it to work, I am just not sure if it is completely done. I downloaded the Samsung Data Migration software to clone my HDD to my SDD that I had hooked into a vacant SATA slot. It copied, I shut down, swapped the drives and now have only my SDD drive hooked up. I am using the computer as we speak and it seems to be working. However, I am not sure if its stable, or if there is anything else I should do. Will there be an issue with how its writing data to the hard drive?
  4. locked as in you have very few settings you can adjust, basically date and time power managment but no overclocking or access to other system settings...
    the bios will likely be locked in on certain features that would be unlocked if the board handnt been used by dell.
    if you can find it look for hpet (high precision events timer),it may go under a different name if its not an intel chipset as i said its needed. if its not in your bios windows 7 will be unstable and will likely lock up 2-3 times over a day if your using browsers or other apps that require the high precision events timers to be active. this may also corrupt your storage if your system locks up during a write.

as its an xp era oem build, so it will likely be limited to xp specs and that didnt include hpet (as far as i know, but could be wrong) on oem machines.

so if your bios doesn't have an inbuilt hardware events timer or you cant enable it. i would say change the motherboard to a cheap none oem 1. 35 quid would get you something usable from asrock for that cpu. in fact add another 5er and you can jump to ddr3 1066/1333 as well. yeah some boards for 775 socket cpu's actually support ddr3. they can because theres no mmu on the cpu to limit the kind of ram you can use... (worth a thought)
Ask a new question