Can I see English when using Chinese software on English XP

Pixel 3D

Honorable
Jun 1, 2013
Hi, I'm an English speaking guy using an English version of XP. I was given some software that turned out to be in Chinese. At first everything was just gobbledegook but after lots of reading I installed the East Asia language pack so now it's in proper Chinese, all neat and tidy as it's supposed to be. The problem is that I don't speak Chinese, I only speak English.

I've done a ton of reading and fiddled around with the Regional language settings and AppLocale and all sorts of things, but as far as I can work out those solutions are for the folk who CAN actually read Chinese and WANT to run a Chinese programme IN Chinese on an English XP. I don't want that.

What I want is to somehow install it in English or, at least, install it in Chinese but then display everything in English when I run it?

You can't change the way the software was written and developed but you may find enough information form the Help>About menu - usually the last one on the right - to contact the developers and ask if they offer an English language version. You can write to them in English and I'm sure they'll understand it. Alternatively, you could look for an English language equivalent which might even be better.

Pixel 3D

Honorable
Jun 1, 2013
Tx for the reply, I resolved this an hour ago. Although I'm not sure if it's a conventional method or not, it worked. I'll briefly detail my solution here in case it can help someone in the future.

The software is JSurveillance and came with two IR security cameras I bought on eBay. I did find an English equivalent on the web but that wasn't successful because it needed some type of dongle. However, I noticed the English version used two DLL's (SkinLib_TPE.dll and SkinLib_English.dll) so I made copies of them and installed my Chinese version again. The Chinese version used SkinLib.dll and SkinLib_TPC.dll so I deleted them and dumped my English copies in their place, renaming them to match what the Chinese had had, and hey presto, my Chinese programme was suddenly all English.