A PC upgrade from 2008, advice for processor,motherboard and graphic card!

scoup

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013
my pc is gradually lagging in games now,

i have an i7 920 processor (with dx58bp motherboard so cannot overclock, biggest mistake)
4 gig ram
9800gt green edition 1 gb
1 tb 7200 rpm drive

so i want an upgrade,but please remember i am on an budget (thought of buying asus p6t deluxe v2 but too costly at this stage!)

so i would like your opinions, i thought of buying only a motherboard cause in some threads i read cpu becomes bottleneck!?? i tried running different program in the background and yes game became far slow, right now my cpu is at stock 2.66 Ghz

i also thought i could buy an used xbox 360 for my gaming need??

or a total upgrade!?!! if yes ,what all to change and what to do of the left over parts?!!

thanks in advance.

scoup

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013

you meant to say the stock i7 920 cant be bottlenecked bY Geforce 9800gt????? is this what you wanted to say!??
and if yes... then what is best value graphic card right now?? as new graphic cards are released old ones must be decreased in rate!??

That i7 is still a very powerful CPU, as MadN stated. Just upgraded a friends Alienware by adding RAM and an ASUS 660. 660's are dropping in price, and I am sure the AMD/Radeon cards will also. I'd add some more RAM if the board with accept it and upgrade the video.
What OS?

scoup

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013

well its windows 8!
and thinking about the "future"(down the line) dont you think i should invest in motherboard to overclock 920 to like 3.6 Ghz something...
and isn't 4 gig ram decent enough for gaming needs?
and could you please point out some old radeon cards that have fallen in price but still have great performance! :D

and one more thing as nobody mentioned xbox 360, do you think it is its not worth it??

Depends on your budget. Used HD6870/6950 VGAs are being priced low ATM.

As for X360: not worth it. Your current PC is stronger than a X360.

scoup

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013

hd 6950???? i could buy a 7850 at that price!? worth it?(it will last longer ;) )