7950 3GB Overheating very badly for no reason

G

My brand new 7950 (september 2012) has just gone crazy. I'd start-up my PC, and within a minute, by this time I have left it on desktop only (windows 7), the fans would crank up, so I would check the temps and they would say 74C. They stay at 74C no matter how high I put the fan speeds. To top it off, little squares will start to appear at the bottom of my screen, but they only appear on my display and not when I print screen.

Any help is more than welcome.

*edit activity is at 97% for no reason

That is pretty weird considering your specs say you have Liquid Cooling. Such high temperatures for no reason on idle can be dangerous.
I am expecting those getting even higher if you play a game or two.

Did you made sure thermal paste is properly applied? You should re apply it and should also try to keep the case open and see if it makes any difference.

G

Liquid cooling on my CPU, air on my video card. The temps shouldn't be anywhere near 74C when I am doing nothing but idleing. CCC says that the card is being used 90-97% when I am running nothing but CCC. I am too scared to play a game, I don't want to damage my card. Any suggestions? I have already checked for the latest drivers and I have them.

I took the side off and have my case running open. It definitely does not feel like 74C down there.

The temps stay the same even when running games. I believe that there may be a virtual load being placed on my GPU without my permission, or a driver/software has bugged out.

Sounds like you are another victim of the bitcoin malware that is floating around out there, run a virus sweep and malware scan (malwarebytes is an excellent freebie) and that should clear things up.

G

Running a full scan right now. I have Trend Micro Titanium security. I ran it once earlier today and it caught nothing. I'll also run that freeware you mentioned, and then I'll run microsoft's security scanner.

G

coozie I believe is correct in his assumption. Malwarebytes has already picked up something, and that was only in a quick scan. I'll run a full scan with it. It seems to have performed better than my paid security software.

G

the name was b.exe it was found it my appdata, although my original issue is still present even after removing the application and restarting my PC. I'll look for the comeplete report.

G

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Trial) 1.75.0.1300
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: v2013.06.02.02

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 x64 NTFS
Internet Explorer 10.0.9200.16576
Ellis :: ELLIS-CBPC [administrator]

Protection: Enabled

02.06.2013 13:13:59
mbam-log-2013-06-02 (13-13-59).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Scan options enabled: Memory | Startup | Registry | File System | Heuristics/Extra | Heuristics/Shuriken | PUP | PUM
Scan options disabled: P2P
Objects scanned: 223814
Time elapsed: 3 minute(s), 45 second(s)

Memory Processes Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Detected: 0

Registry Keys Detected: 0

Registry Values Detected: 0

Registry Data Items Detected: 0

Folders Detected: 0

Files Detected: 1
C:\Users\Ellis\AppData\Roaming\b.exe (Trojan.Startpage) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

(end)

G

The problem is still present, even after the quick scan removed or quarantined the discovered file. I am running a complete scan in hope that the problem will be fixed.

G

My issue has been resolved. It was a high grade malware running in the form of multiple svchost.exe. To fix my issue I did the following.

-Ran malwarebytes flash scan, quick scan, and full scan
-Ran roguekiller scan, and delete
-Ran combofix (this thing is fantastic)
-Ran adwcleaner (to clean things up)

Every software I used was free, and so if any of you ever have issues, do exactly what I did above, and your computer will be malware free in about an hour.

G

Yea I found that out the hard way :p Just had to reboot. To stop the malware from running, I had to disconnect myself from the internet completely, and use my laptop to download the software, and transfer it via USB.

G

Thanks guys for your help! I appreciate it a lot. It was a pretty big pain, and I hope I don't get any more issues with malware in a long time :D

You both definitely have the right to sit in front of your systems looking as smug as you like :p I'll be glad to provide links to the software if either of you are interested.