Haswell vs Ivy Bridge

amdman599

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
Hey everyone,
I have been trying to find differences between the two chips but i just cant see any. So can you guys share any differences that you know besides the TDP of course (84 watts) vs (77 watts).

nathanoakes

Honorable
May 31, 2013
This article might be worth a read. The difference is laughably minimal. they improved the ops per cycle, the graphics and not much more. Yes it's faster, but not worth paying extra for, especially since the Ivy-Bridge will be going down in price upon Haswell release. Stick with Ivy until Broadwell comes out and see if there are any improvements.

nathanoakes

Honorable
May 31, 2013

Official news or assumption? Doesn't seem too far fetched either way IMO. Call me a fanboy if you like, but I think AMD are gonna accelerate in recent years with their addition of Jim Keller, and they'll overtake Intel with a surprise hit because they're getting lazy. So yeah if anyone here is desperate to upgrade, wait until Steamroller is out (if it ever comes, that is.) or just the next gen AMD. Opinion.

montosaurous

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012
Assumption, though evidence points to it. Steamroller will be good, but if you've got an older board like I do that hasn't had a bios release since October 2012 Piledriver is your best option.

firefoxx04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Makes me so sad. I was going to make the jump from a Phenom II quad to socket 1150 but now im not feeling so compelled..

The GPU got a nice jump in performance but that does a lot of us no good with our expensive discrete cards...

nathanoakes

Honorable
May 31, 2013
Thought so and I agree. Intel just seem to be getting lazy because AMD haven't been giving it anything to compete against of late. Piledriver has been its best architecture since the Athlon IMO (Phenom wasn't amazing). Bios upgrades suck, but changing your mobo every year sucks more ;)

jimmare

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013
There is no reason to stick with Ivy.
5.jpg

tential

Honorable
May 19, 2013
Eh if you're on a budget why buy Haswell? It's the same performance as Ivybridge. I'm only buying it because I can. I might not even do it at this rate as I think about it more. Poor OCing, complaints about USB 3.0, people complaining about heat, I'm getting a little wary. I might bite the bullet, but getting an Ivybridge system that's been tested by tons of people before you may be better than getting a system that is brand new and you're the guinea pig to test on while intel makes the revisions off your complaints.

Then again, if I get a terrible chip, I'm going to just call their department, work my way up the chain, until I get a decent one sent to me.

nathanoakes

Honorable
May 31, 2013
Stay on IB, if you have the 50-60 to throw around, get a Corsair H60 or similar, then overclock the hell out of the IB. Better performance for the same money ;)

ericjohn004

Honorable
Oct 26, 2012
In reality, the IPC improvement from Ivy to Haswell is about 3-5% per core. While multithreading you MIGHT see a 10% increase in performance. This 10% increase though, is made up for by the fact that Ivy Bridge can overclock about .2Ghz higher than Haswell. As stated in a Tom's Hardware article I just read today. So if your an overclocker, there's no reason at all to upgrade. AT ALL. Also, Sandy Bridge overclocked .2Ghz better than Ivy. Therefore, if you own a Sandy Bridge there's no reason to go to Ivy or Haswell as if all three are overclocked to the MAX, they'll all be the same speed. The only slight reason why I like the new Haswell chips is their theoretical performance using AVX2 instruction sets. If programs start to use AVX2, then you'll see a good 20% performance increase PROBABLY. But there's no proof showing that programs will every optimize their code for AVX2. Maybe in the future.

Another good thing about Haswell is the faster cache. It doesn't show during real world use but maybe eventually you'll be able to see performance differences between Ivy and Haswell once programs use this faster cache. All of this is hope though. When you come out with a new architecture you like to see immediate improvement. You don't want to be like an AMD fan always saying "eventually the 8350 will perform better".

If I didn't already have a PC and I was buying new, sure I'd get a Haswell, why not. But since I own an Ivy already I see very little reason to upgrade. With Ivy you got USB 3.0, SATAIII, PCIe 3.0, HD40000 GFX, new instructions, Higher IPC, and lower power consumption. With Haswell you got higher IPC, HD4600, new instructions, and HIGHER power consumption.

amdman599

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
Thanks, all your comments have been very helpful. Im on a Amd Athlon II X220 2.80GHz so an upgrade of a whole pc would be quite nice. Would you all say that a I5 4670k would perform somewhat better in video encoding and rendering software or would the I5 3570k be better? (also considering the fact that i'l be gaming). I know that there is a small price gap between the two CPU's but i just wouldn't want to go through having to find stable OC's and having new hardware with possible bugs. Id really appreciate some opinions and thoughts. Thanks

becherovka

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
"Thanks, all your comments have been very helpful. Im on a Amd Athlon II X220 2.80GHz so an upgrade of a whole pc would be quite nice. Would you all say that a I5 4670k would perform somewhat better in video encoding and rendering software or would the I5 3570k be better? (also considering the fact that i'l be gaming). I know that there is a small price gap between the two CPU's but i just wouldn't want to go through having to find stable OC's and having new hardware with possible bugs. Id really appreciate some opinions and thoughts. Thanks "
I went from a AMD X555 (unlocked 2 extra cores) to the 4670K + SSD. its a world of difference. In the benchmarks I did its about 5-20% quicker than 3570K, but in real life I dont think you would be able to tell the difference. What I plan on doing tho is buy the best CPU I can get in this motherboard next year before they stop supporting 1150 and stick with that for a while. If you get IB your stuck there. Dont upgrade from IB or SB, no point.
If your doing rendering or video encoding the 3670K or the 4770K are a better option.