fretcruiser

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
Hello,
I have a custom build with:

Gigabyte Motherboard: ga-H61M-DS2
Intel i3570k processor
8GB RAM

Here's the deal. I first built the computer a year ago, and was able to overclock it just fine. I was able to boost the CPU multiplier up basically as high as I wanted it. going to 42 (4.20 ghz) was no problem. I ended up leaving it on the default setting of 34 (3.40 ghz).

Fastforward to today, I was in an overclocking mood for some reason, so I went into bios and lo and behold, I am unable to set the multiplier beyond 36. If I type in any number that is higher than that, it just reverts back to 34. On top of that, the turbo settings are greyed out on "auto" and I'm unable to change them. I even updated the bios, but that did absolutely nothing.

When I built the computer, I installed Windows 7 on it and it was working fine. I upgraded to windows 8 several months ago, and I'm suspecting this is what caused my issue, though I can't say for certain because I didn't try to overclock it immediately following the install.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Thanks!

fretcruiser

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
No I didn't. I haven't even went to bios in 8 months. I updated it yesterday to try and fix it but no dice. Literally, the only change I've made to the system was the windows 8 install.