Acer Updating C7 Chromebook Line with SSDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

xero141

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
With tablets and smartphones capable of so much more, i still can't figure out why they still make Chromebooks... The Chromebook: not exactly the best thing to replace a laptop, also not exactly the best thing to get instead of a laptop...

Chris Brown

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013
The first two comments on this article are extremely shallow. I purchased a Chromebook just to see what it was really capable of and "kick the tires" so to speak. I ended up retiring my second generation i7 w/ 16GB ram and touchscreen... basically a solid well-built laptop. It's just so much easier to grab the Chromebook and get 90% of what I need to done. Most basic features (editing documents, working through emails, organizing calendar, etc) are available off-line even. For work stuff I RDP into our server and runt he application (Quickbooks, ERP, etc.) faster than I did on my i7.
I understand there's a real mental shift and stigma to running a "browser OS" but honestly, I never did anything of any value on my laptop offline anyway. People need to really understand what this environment is offering before so quick to dismiss.

michael112

Honorable
Mar 29, 2013
The chromebook is designed to be a cheap and portable device. That's what it does and it does it well. It's a great fit for students that are on a budget have a full sized desktop that handles their more computer intensive programs. I use it at school for typing and basic web browsing. When i get home i use my desktop for everything else.

Rieln

Honorable
Jun 5, 2013
I cannot believe the shortsightedness of many responses. The Chromebook is really here to stay. IT is changing and it starts with the middle and small companies we serve. It is getting easier and easier to propose a set of Chromebooks, and áll employees using one do not want to go back. They are reliable, very fast, maintenancefree devices and any IT department should love them. The managementconsole makes managing every aspect of the browser quite simple.

Yes, you need to work on the web. That's the big deal here. But more and more people do use web-services for everyday work, like CRM and Accounting. Then the need for a full-fledged laptop dissapears, and a Chromebook is the perfect match.

So instead of nagging about a flop, garbage or bad displays, just realize a browserbased OS will be gaining terrain. Fast.

G

I have a Samsung and wished I had the Acer. At least with the Acer you can more easily install a Linux version that a more full experience. But Google still makes things harder then they need to be. So much for open source. With my Chromebook I have to wonder why it can stream video to a 46" TV perfectly but be choppy when scrolling on a heavy Flash content page? I can definitely say Chromebook's are nothing to brag about. They are just the next cheap netbook.

Status
Not open for further replies.