Sign in with
Your question

NON GAMER - Intel HD 4600 graphics (Haswell) by itself or add graphics card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 2, 2013 6:25:00 PM

Hey guys,
I am new to building computers and I am planning on building one by the end of the month. I don't play games but I do, from time to time, watch HD/Bluray movies.
While I'm sure the integrated graphics card should be sufficient for that, is it a good idea? I don't want to put unnecessary stress on the CPU by having it use its integrated graphics. I'd rather buy an ultra cheap graphics card that could take the full brunt of playing a HD movie. Would buying this cheap graphics card reduce the quality of a movie?
Can someone tell me how it would work if I bought a cheap graphics card? Will the integrated Haswell graphics become superfluous because the new graphics card would take over most of its roles? Also, can you suggest a cheap graphics card for this role (if it's necessary)?

So... Stick to integrated graphics or buy a cheap graphics card to play things like movies etc. (no games)?
a b U Graphics card
June 2, 2013 6:31:39 PM

the integrated graphics should be just fine for watching HD movies. The intel HD graphics sometimes are capable of games too, so it should be fine ;) 
June 2, 2013 6:37:51 PM

Shadowblade2652 said:
the integrated graphics should be just fine for watching HD movies. The intel HD graphics sometimes are capable of games too, so it should be fine ;) 

Hey, thanks for the reply.

While, I'm aware the integrated graphics is more than enough to watching movies, my main question is whether it's worth putting the extra stress on the CPU? Like I said, I'm happy to spend $30-50 on a graphics card to decrease the workload on the CPU (and RAM). However, is watching HD movies not intensive to the point it wouldn't really dramatically affect the performance/lifespan of the CPU?
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
June 2, 2013 6:40:19 PM

It shouldn't put too much stress on the CPU. Also, $30 - $50 won't get you a graphics card that's as good as the 4600 lol. (Except maybe the GTX 9600). The intel HD 2000 is capable of playing Crysis 2 which is a very demanding game CPU/GPU wise. There won't be too much stress on the CPU ;)  Just have plenty of ram and it should be fine ;) 
June 2, 2013 7:03:30 PM

Shadowblade2652 said:
It shouldn't put too much stress on the CPU. Also, $30 - $50 won't get you a graphics card that's as good as the 4600 lol. (Except maybe the GTX 9600). The intel HD 2000 is capable of playing Crysis 2 which is a very demanding game CPU/GPU wise. There won't be too much stress on the CPU ;)  Just have plenty of ram and it should be fine ;) 

Alright thanks. As long as it doesn't make the CPU go extremely hot.
a b U Graphics card
June 2, 2013 7:52:50 PM

Splashy said:
Shadowblade2652 said:

Don't be afraid to select the best answer button ;)  He doesn't bite :) 

a c 216 U Graphics card
June 2, 2013 8:51:16 PM

Splashy said:

Don't worry about the heat, they are meant to be used this way. If you are concerned about excess heat, buy an aftermarket HSF for the CPU. It'll make sure it runs very cool.
!