Computer shut off, replaced power cord and motherboard sparked

chroz

Honorable
Jun 3, 2013
I was doing some serious gaming when my computer shut off. The power on button did nothing and I thought it was my power supply after reading a bit from my phone. I replaced the power cord to the PSU with my ps3 cord (the voltage was the same, figured it was okay but what do I know), and turned on my computer. It turned on, but half a second later my motherboard, or some component in that general area, sparked some orange stuff. I turned off my computer immediately, but after reverting to the original power cord, it's working fine.

Any ideas? Am I retarded for keeping this computer on right now? I want to point out that I leave this computer on almost 24/7. That is contributing to the issue, is it not?

Also I'm using stock fans and my computer isn't overlocked.

Your computer shut off basically due to high temperature. They must have exceeded TJ max.

You should turn off your system for an hour or two everyday to give it some cool down time. Considering the fact that it went off while you were gaming proves that it was over heating issue...

It is fine to run it for now but I suggest turning it off for next 2 hours to ensure safely.

darren0000

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012
sounds like a psu fault. check all the pcs wiring inside......u know like the led etc etc all component ram etc are seated, sata lads etc. check this and also check for and damage and work your way through everything all the way out to the plug and the psu.

darren0000

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012
heat will only shut down your pc, open and clean all dust etc and replace the thermal paste if this is bad. are you running on stock cooler? even then it should be adequate enough not to exceed the tdp

under no circumstance should your pc spark at all as this could potentially arc and short other components out. faulty psu will sent the wrong volts and damage things I.e sparks lol

It sparked when he connected his PS3 cord .. That might have to do something with it because if both cords were equal why didn't his PC sparked when it was connected to normal one? and if normal one was dead how did his PC worked after changing back from PS3 cord?

darren0000

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012
pc cord is just a kettle lead.
ps3 cord is a kettle lead

both are 3 pin lead with 13 amp fuse.

both will work

excuse the 13 amp fuse bit lol only need for the kettle as I think the ps3 and pc is 5 amp but aslong as your over it will still work

for example a 5amp will not work in a kettle lol 13 amp only, but a 13 amp can be used in a ps3 that requires only a 5amp

darren0000

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012
he will need to go through the process of elimination, this will find the rootcause of you issue.

p.s go try a kettle lead as this will work tooo

chroz

Honorable
Jun 3, 2013
I let my computer cool off for 12 hours and I bought some arctic silver 5 from radioshack. I air dusted the stock fan and the case fans out completely and replaced the thermal paste. My temperatures are at a good level now and it's running fine with the original power cord. I hope it stays this way! I'll be turning my computer off more often now.

darren0000

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012

buy an aftermarket cooler also