I'm planning on replacing my current laptop soon and here's what I'm looking for:
1. What is your budget?
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
14 or 15.6 inch
3. What screen resolution do you want?
1366x768 would be fine
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
I want it to be as light and portable as possible but it will be my main computer.
5. How much battery life do you need?
The longer the better. My current laptop gets over 4 hours so I’d like to match that at least.
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
I’m not really a gamer so this isn’t much of an issue.
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Streaming video (Netflix, etc.), word processing, general web browsing
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
It seems that 500 GB is pretty standard nowadays and that is plenty for me.
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Not considering any specific sites.
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
At least 3-5 years
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
I would prefer to have at least a DVD drive.
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Do not want Acer (which is what my current laptop is) or HP (bad experiences in the past).
I have been looking a lot at Lenovo IdeaPads, either the Z or U Series but am open to other options.
13. What country do you live in?
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
My current laptop (an Acer Aspire 4810T) is about 3.5 years old and still functional but struggles to do even general web browsing tasks at this point. I want a laptop that will be reliable for me as a student as well as portable to take to and from class for a reasonable price. I am also torn about transitioning to Windows 8 and would be interested in hearing feedback about that as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated!