[SOLVED] New build won't POST! Computer turns on, but nothing is displayed on monitor. help!

Helloimzeeshan

Honorable
Jun 3, 2013
So I just built a new system yesterday (this was my first build) and I got everything hooked up and when I hit power, all my fans start goin, the LED's on the chassis and mouse/keyboard come on, and a green light on the MOBO comes on. However, I do not get a POST screen displayed on my monitor! I'm attempting to connect the monitor and the graphics card using a DVI. Maybe it won't display because my processor has integrated graphics? But if that's the case, I can't connect my monitor to my MOBO because the MOBO doesn't come with an input for video! I don't know what to do. I've gone through the 20 steps thread.

Here are my specs:

NZXT M59 Classic Series ATX Mid Tower interior chassis M59-001BK (Black)

ASUS M5A97 R2.0 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

Lite-On Super AllWrite 24X SATA DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive

XFXAMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB GDDR5 2DVI/HDMI/2 Mini Display Port PCI-Express Video Card FX787ACNFC

AMD A10-5800K APU 3.8Ghz Processor

Corsair Vengeance 8 GB ( 2 x 4 GB ) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) 240-Pin DDR3 Memory Kit for Core i3, i5, i7 and Platforms SDRAM CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9

Seagate 1TB SSD+HHD hybrid

thermaltake 600W power supply

Another thing I was worried about was that my parts aren't compatible or something. I don't have a speaker so I can't listen for POST beeps, but I should have one coming in tomorrow.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Helloimzeeshan

Honorable
Jun 3, 2013
I tried that and unfortunately it did not work. Would it make a difference if I tried plugging the GPU into the second PCI slot? or would that not make much of a difference?

zeus3081

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
X79 is right. Try resetting your cmos first. I've found the best way to do this is to physically remove the cmos battery and reinsert it. I've never had much luck with factory resets in the bios. Is the bios screen coming up at all?

zeus3081

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
If your monitor has an hdmi port try using that instead of the dvi and see what happens. Try hooking into another monitor as well.. Just suggesting. I don't know if you've done this already. just make sure u get all the simple stuff out they way.. Cables do go bad... And so do ports on monitors.

Helloimzeeshan

Honorable
Jun 3, 2013
So here's my update.

I breadboarded everything and hooked up nothing but my CPU, GPU, RAM and PSU, along with the speaker. No post beep.

Then I hooked up nothing but my CPU and PSU. still no beep at all.

So I looked at my CPU, and there were about 10 pins bent. So that was the source of my problem.

I attempted to bend them pack straight, and after they were straight I tried everything again, no post beep still.

Looks like I'll have to RMA my cpu (and my MoBo just to be safe) and try it again at a later time!

I'll updated once I do that!

zeus3081

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011

Hey man, glad to hear that you found the problem.. I know it's a pain in the ass when your are itching to game and you run into problems. Let me know what replacement parts you end up buying. You think they were like that when you bought them or did you do it by accident?

Helloimzeeshan

Honorable
Jun 3, 2013
It was probably me, cause I was having some troubles getting the heatsink on (AMD heatsinks are a bitch to install, or for me it was anyway). Oh well, who has a perfect first build, right? lol

Also thanks guys for helpin out!

And Zeus, i'll let you know for sure!

Helloimzeeshan

Honorable
Jun 3, 2013
Alright just needed an opinion. If I wanted to switch over to the intel side, would an intel i3 3220 matched with a radeon xfx 7870 card run games on high-max settings with a good fps? Or would I be bottle necking that. Because reviews say the i3 3220 is better than the 5800k (my current CPU), especially with a dedicated card. Opinions?

X79

Honorable

The i3 is really awesome. I think you'd definitely be flying.

Helloimzeeshan

Honorable
Jun 3, 2013
Alright. Here's a bit of a kicker. I'd like to have a rig where I can make digital paintings and do animation work, as well as playing video games. This might take a bit of rendering (I won't be making massive video's like a professional youtuber so I don't need an i7) but would an i3 or i5 be better for render work and gaming? (I plan on upgrading the RAM in the future as well). Also, what would be a good motherboard to grab that's cheap but allows for overclocking? This is what I was looking it, would this work well?

MoBo:
http://www.amazon.com/LGA1155-Z77-CrossFireX-Motherboard-PRO4-M/dp/B007RS70YW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1370453348&sr=8-3&keywords=ASRock+Z77+Extreme4+LGA+1155

Processor:
http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Core-i5-3470-Quad-Core-Processor/dp/B0087EVHVW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1370453269&sr=8-4&keywords=Intel+i5+3570K+LGA+1155

either that, or the following combo

MoBo:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008S8WA18/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B008S8WA18&linkCode=as2&tag=c09_11-20

Processor:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0093H8HXS/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0093H8HXS&linkCode=as2&tag=c09_11-20

Helloimzeeshan

Honorable
Jun 3, 2013
Actually disregard all that, I was thinking about switching to Intel, but after contacting customer service about RMA-ing my MoBo and CPU, they placed a replacement order to arrive tomorrow! So I will get back to you guys tomorrow night and let you know if everything worked out or not!

Just ONE more question. a silly one, but just to clarify. RAM isn't chipset special is it? Meaning, my Vengeance will work with AMD, and doesn't have to be Intel? Or vice versa

Helloimzeeshan

Honorable
Jun 3, 2013
Alright. I'm also wondering if my MoBo and CPU are compatible? Sorry, I'm just extremely nervous that my build won't work again because of whatever reason. Whether that's another faulty part or incompatibility.

Again, MoBo is Asus m5a97 R2.0 and processor is an AMD 5800-k quad core.

X79

Honorable
That motherboard uses an AM3 socket, while that APU uses an FM2 socket.

So I'm doubtful they fit together. However I'm no expert on AMD hardware quite yet.

zeus3081

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011

Hey man, sorry for the late response man.. I have an intel I5-2500K Cpu myself, and from my experience it works really well. I also have an Asus P8P67LE motherboard.. I would have to lean more towards that combination for the simple fact that the automatic overclocking utility on that mobo for the cpu is great.. As you know stock clocks on that version of I-5 is 3.3 ghz out of the box. Right now mine is overclocked to 4.1 ghz! Thats a hell of a jump in my opinion and that's without screwing around manually with voltages in the bios..

zeus3081

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011

I cant really speak on an AMD setup.. Im not to familiar with them.. I just started looking into the whole APU setup yesterday as a possibility for another build I'm doing soon.

zeus3081

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011

That overclock is was talking about earlier was done with the automatic overclocking utility in the bios.. There is a disc that comes with the mobo to run an app in Windows but sometimes I find it to be pretty inaccurate sometimes. Best to do it in the bios.. I just use that app to monitor fan and cpu temps sometimes.. I also recommend getting yourself a seperate usb stick to use for Windows 7 ready boost to make your system a little faster.. I havent seen any proof on this actually affecting gaming but your Windows OS will use that USB as extra RAM.

Anyways keep in touch man. PC gaming is awesome and I support anyone building their own rig vs console gaming and I'm sure X79 feels the same..

X79

Honorable
True dat bro.

And AMD APUs are awesome by the way ;).

The A10 5800K is really impressive, when you consider the games it can

run and the price tag it has. Their new 6800K was just released, but it's more

expensive and doesn't really make any big improvements over the aforementioned one.