Sign in with
Your question

help OC fx 8150 and msi 660 ti pe

Last response: in Overclocking
June 3, 2013 6:09:18 PM

Okay, I have recently been looking into overclocking and have been playin around a little with it and reading a ton, got some questions about what is good/bad but I will start with my specs first.
MSI 990 FXA-GD80
FX 8150 BD @ 3.6 GHz
Antec 700W PSU
MSI 660 Ti PE 2GB
16GB RAM
Corsair H60 cooler

Ok now to questions/ what I have done.

I have been tweaking CPU/GPU OC to try and improve gaming performance and overall speed. I'm using MSI overdrive for CPU and afterburner for GPU. I was using BIOS first for my CPU OC but then found od and found it much easier to play around with, plus added stability/BM abilities along with temp monitoring to be handy.
So I currently have CPU OC'd to 4.2GHz with 21x and 1.3V, I'm wondering if I should raise Voltage or enable turbo core? if so what specs should I raise it to??
I have ran the stability test and have had no issues with these specs so far but voltage seems a little low... temps have gotten up to just under 43 C while doing stability test. (I'm willing to get a H100 or something within 200$ if it will be beneficial)
I've seen people pull 4.8 with fairly stable results but because I'm new to this I don't want to start upping voltage too much and fry anything quite yet!

As for GPU I've been playing around and have seen some people pulling
+100 coreV
+50 memV
+30 auxV
+110 core clock
+580 mem clock

but as I have been playing around I have found some stable around
+75 coreV
+30 memV
+15 auxV
+70 core clock
+350 mem clock

anything above that seems to crash while doing unigen heaven BM

So basically main questions are;
1. Is CPU voltage too low for that multiplier??
2. Should I upgrade HS to keep temps lower?
3. Why am I having issues bumping GPU higher?
4. Should I upgrade PSU (or any other parts)?
5. Any recommendations????

Thanks guys!

More about : 8150 msi 660

a b K Overclocking
June 4, 2013 2:06:15 AM

hi i did a fred a while back which was on the same lines http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/279958-29-overclock...

to get 4.8ghz unless ur on a crazy water loop then ur not gunna get it even then u maye have a crap cpu chip which can happen as not every chip is the same.
there are some settings and how far i got with my own fx 8150 but getting to 4.9ghz wasnt stable.
your setup is similer to mine so you might be able to pull something near my specs.
hope this helps
June 4, 2013 5:26:50 PM

stew198269 said:
hi i did a fred a while back which was on the same lines http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/279958-29-overclock...

to get 4.8ghz unless ur on a crazy water loop then ur not gunna get it even then u maye have a crap cpu chip which can happen as not every chip is the same.
there are some settings and how far i got with my own fx 8150 but getting to 4.9ghz wasnt stable.
your setup is similer to mine so you might be able to pull something near my specs.
hope this helps

yeah thats another thing i was meaning to ask, how can you tell if you have a bad chip?? and what other stuff should i adjust to help this along easier, i read about FSB (=front side bus correct?==cpu bus?) and LLC? what does LLC do?

Related resources
a b K Overclocking
June 5, 2013 2:24:08 AM

u cant really tell out of a box if u have a bad chip some chips can overclock really good and others will overclock really low i had a phenom ii x6 1090t and the max i could get out if it was 3.4ghz /3.5ghz which was carp compared to what other people was getting. LLC? have no idea what that is someone else might be able to help u with that. never even heard of it....?
going back to ur first post i would leave ur gpu alone as u should have no problems with it straight out the box! i would set ur multiplier @ 21.5 raise ur volts up to 1.38v and see how u get on with that.

whats ur cooling like apart from ur h60 do u have cooling for the rest of ur case is ur computer in a cupboard or on a desk?
just remember with overclocking comes with more heat so good cooling is needed.
another thing if u only have 1 fan on ur h60 put another on the other side for a push pull config....

hope this helps...
a b K Overclocking
June 5, 2013 2:25:14 AM

dont forget to turn off turbo core!!
June 5, 2013 6:37:57 PM

thanks stew for all your help first of all.

now, case is TT chaser mk-1, got 4x 200mm fans(2top, 1side, 1 front), 2x 120mm(1back, 1bottom) so its pretty good for cooling.

now i have another question you may be able to help me with. dealing with hhd+ssd's... basically i have 2x 1tb wd black and a 120gb ocz agility 3. im wondering what would be my best bet for setting them up? basically i see 3 ways
-RAID 0 w/ SSD caching
-SSD as boot, RAID 0 on the 2 1tb drives
-regular

now from what ive read ssd is faster then a raid 0 config, so if i leave boot on there, would probly load faster, but the rest would be a bit slower... or if i put raid w/ ssd caching it would slow down boot but make everything a fair bit faster...?
(im not 100% on those statements, ive read a bit but not a ton) so if you have anything that i should know or any recommendations for me, that would help me out a ton. Thanks man again for all your help! :) 
a b K Overclocking
June 7, 2013 3:34:11 AM

i would say put your o.s on the ssd and use the 2 1tb as storage
!