Picture small enough for Avatar

Easiest way -

Download a bigger picture from internet (whatever one you like).
Open it in paint (I am considering you have windows Vista / 7 / 8. Click 'Resize' button. Go to Pixels tab and choose your desired size.

Remember, for TMH, width should not exceed 100 pixels...

Chala

Distinguished
May 13, 2009

Thanks that worked i forgot about paint, i downloaded an image resizer and everything and still could not get it done, great job!

Browsing the forum, found this post; Thank you luckiest charm! Now have an avatar.

That is very good. :)
No problem mate.

PA Systems

Honorable
Jun 20, 2013
When I resize my chosen image in Photoshop it's pixelated horribly. I'd like to know how the rest of you got better quality images? I prefer to create my own images and in spite of cropping a larger image to the square I needed for this, when reduced from 1080 X 1080 to 100 by 100 pixels it's a misery mess.

I tried the Paint resize solution. I'm still not happy at all with it. There isn't the clarity I could have achieved with a larger size. It's a known fact that to reduce images beyond a certain point all detail and quality is lost.

PA Systems

Honorable
Jun 20, 2013

Thank you for that consideration. As you can see I put up the resized image. Here is the link to the full sized square. This is, of course also a crop from the original, which under any circumstances couldn't work as an avatar. I've tried it on the Flickr website with the full sized version. They have a number of places where they display avatars and it did take the original size. Some of the elements of the site where it is displayed are smaller than others and that is also where it becomes quite fuzzy.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/paypaul/9233529147/

the trouble with an image like that is that the detail in the background and plastic effect does not scale down very well. also not having access to the original doesnt help matters. it appears downloading is blocked from that link.

i changed the levels and ran a sharpen on this one. it looks a little better but not by much.
ny8e9f.png

here is a biohazard logo i created from scratch just for you. its not the same as the original but follows a similar theme.
2qk87c7.png

PA Systems

Honorable
Jun 20, 2013

Thanks for this. I would like to know what steps you used to create it. It does look clearer than my own at that size. One of the elements in my image is a layer style of inner emboss. Perhaps eliminating that might make it less problematic?

steps i used for your image..
-print screen, copied image into photoshop, cut out square image (since i couldnt save the raw image)
-sharpen
-bumped up contrast a bit
-tweaked levels just a tad
-resized to 100x100
-saved as png

steps i used for my image..
-copied b&w biohazard image from web into new 500x500 image
-magic wand + similar on white to delete white
-invert fill inside with black to get rid of white edges
-applied layer blending options (see * items below)
*inner glow (black, small)
*outer glow (green, small)
*satin (medium settings from 9o'clock position)
*emboss (hard emboss, small distance)
*pattern overlay (spiderman hex pattern, lowered opacity)
-created new layer under bh logo
-ctrl+ clicked bh in layers, expanded selection by 10px, filled with black, gaussian blur to create shadow
-created layer under this
-used a blood splatter brush to paint a background (green)
-created a layer above this
-ctrl+ clicked the blood splatter, contracted selection by 2, filled with black, reduced opacity
-merged two blood layers, ran wind filter twice, rotated 90^
-added layer above biohazard
-sketched in black bars, rotated, ctrl+clicked original biohazard layer and created layer mask, reduced opacity
-added layer above bars.
-ctrl+ clicked biohazard layer created neon green overlay, reduced opacity until it worked
-added text layer above all other layers
-added blending option of outer glow (black, small, diffused) to make text ledgible
-reduced size to 100x100
-saved as png
-----------------------------

the problem is that the image was created at too high a resolution to begin with. if the image was created at 500x500 and reduced it would look far better.

the simpler an image is... the better it will scale. your image has alot of details on the background as well as alot of very dark shadow areas which when reduced make the biohazard logo seem to fade away. if the whole thing was a bit brighter youy may not have this issue.

if lines are too thin or if you have too much blur in comparison to the solid edges then you may get distortion.

here is a short little animation avatar i put together...

2ngd20k.gif

do you see how a few of the edges are blurry? some of the lines were too small at 500x500 so when they downscaled to 100x100 things dont look quite right. sometimes it is almost best to just create the image at 100x100 and go from there. especially when dealing with small details.

sometimes you just need to play around to get things just quite right but i think at least i gave you a good idea what the problem is.

@ what you said about inner emboss... inner emboss typically isnt a problem unless you have it too "soft". if its too soft it acts the same way as blur. if its hard then it scales fairly well.