HI
I have recently bought a second hand PC, specs are
AMD FX8350 CPU
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7 Mobo
16gb Corsair Vengance High Profile RAM
Coolmaster HAF x Case
Gigabyte Galaxy Water Cooling
ATI 7970 GPU

I am not interested in overclocking, the PC is very loud! The watercooling has been setup with the radiator inside the case with a push pull fan setup.
I have never used water cooling and only took it because it was all setup so thought i'd give it a try. I would perfer a quieter solution so have started looking at air coolers.
Budget isnt a huge problem so i've been looking at the Noctua fans but they are going to be a problem because of the high profile ram i have.
I guess one thing i could try is replacing the water cooling fan and the push fan with after market quieter fans?
The guy who put the system together "seemed" to know his stuff so i assume there is a valid reason for mounting the radiator inside the case? it is a pretty big case with plenty of fans but i cant run a VM image without the fan going nuts.
Plus i have a really bad resonance at a particular fan speed, around 30% fan speed i think. The seller said i might have air in the radiator from where i drove the PC 2 hours back to my house.
I'd really appreciate it if i could get a few peoples opinions on the best way to quieten this system down.
Thanks

brianberger7

Honorable
Jun 27, 2013
Honestly, id go with an aftermarket air cooler. Air cooling (in my experience) tends to be quieter, and does a fair job of keeping low temperatures. Noctua makes great fans in my opinion. Though the high profile RAM may be an issue. If it is, you could remove the RAM casing, or sell yours one eBay, then buy regular Corsair Vengeance RAM. If the RAM is only on two sticks (I,E, x2 8GB sticks), you could move the RAM that is in channel 3 into channel 2, which isn't optimal, but would work for getting the cooler in.