Sign in with
Your question

Mini-itx motherboard for HTPC/NAS on a budget advice please

Last response: in Motherboards
June 4, 2013 10:21:05 AM

Hi all,

There's so much choice in motherboards out there and I can't decide, and am sure I've not even come across the best product yet.

I'm making a mini-itx htpc/nas. It's going to store media on a raid array backup (2 discs in RAID1) and USB to an external drive for my Time Machine backup. Running Ubuntu, media streamed to my HDTV and/or hi-fi via HDMI and optical audio.

Requirements for the motherboard are:

HDMI and optical audio out
Minimum 2 x SATA
Minimum 2 x USB 3.0
WOL-compatible (for power-saving, I really won't need it 24/7)

As I won't be gaming on it, and the maximum I'll ever ask it to do is WOL, update a backup (not too bothered about the speed), then stream an HD movie to the HDTV via HDMI, it certianly doesn't have to be high powered. Hence I'm hoping there are some cheap offerings out there.

As an add-on I'd like it to be quiet if possible but this certainly isn't a dealbreaker at all...

Any advice/criticisms very welcome.

Thanks in advance!
a b V Motherboard
June 4, 2013 12:02:22 PM

Depending on your cpu i would recommend these motherboards:
Intel Sandy/Ivy bridge cpu: ASUS P8H77-I: @Newegg
AMD A-series APU: ASRock FM2A85X-ITX @Newegg

I only recommended you those two series, since your machine will only serve as a HTPC, so you dont need to get a haswell or FX series CPU supported motherboard, overkill. Both of the above mobo's has the minimum of 2 SATA ports and 2 USB3.0 ports and the optical out.
Related resources
!