How many watts should my power supply be?

Here are my specs:

Processor : Intel Core i7 950

RAM : 12 GB

Motherboard : MSI 1366 ATX Motherboard X58 PRO

HardDrive : Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 ATA Device 931 GB

Monitor: ViewSonic VT2430 24-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV (1400x900 res)

One DVD-R DL

Graphics Card: One PowerColor 7950 (not OC'd but plan on overclocking)

I am thinking of getting a 550W Rosewill HIVE Series, but will that be enough to get the best performance?
Thank you for your time in advance! :)
24 answers Last reply
More about watts power supply
  1. I'd say like 650W or around that mark.
  2. A quality 550W PSU is sufficient.
  3. X79 said:
    I'd say like 650W or around that mark.

Can you tell me why you suggest 650 watts?
  4. ksham said:
    A quality 550W PSU is sufficient.

I am looking for the most optimal wattage, better than sufficient. What would be the best wattage for this?
  5. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151119

SeaSonic G Series SSR-550RM 550W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Will power your system.

Don't buy the Rosewill by the one I linked.Ksham would agree that this unit is better.
  6. Optimal, sufficient, what's the difference? Aren't they the same thing? You just changed terminology.
  7. ksham said:
    Optimal, sufficient, what's the difference? Aren't they the same thing? You just changed terminology.

I expanded further, I said what wattage would be the best, as opposed to only sufficient.
  8. SR-71 Blackbird said:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151119

SeaSonic G Series SSR-550RM 550W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Will power your system.

Don't buy the Rosewill by the one I linked.Ksham would agree that this unit is better.

Why is it better, the Rosewill Hive series 550 watt is 80 plus aswell.
  9. 550W is sufficient. If you want more, feel free but it's not necessary. The build that you posted won't even hit 550W of total wattage used.

@SR-71 Blackbird: you know I trust your judgment. ;)
  10. It's all highlighted.Seasonic PSU's are what you should use.

Ksham and I have given you the info,now it's up to you. :D
  11. 1Dan1 said:

Rosewill Hive is one of the better Rosewill-branded PSU. Still inferior to Seasonic's PSU. And 80 Plus rating means nothing. It doesn't tell you anything about the quality of the PSU. That's just the efficiency rating from conversion of AC power to DC power. Higher rating means that less energy is lost in the conversion. But it does not tell you anything else.
  12. ksham said:
    1Dan1 said:

Rosewill Hive is one of the better Rosewill-branded PSU. Still inferior to Seasonic's PSU. And 80 Plus rating means nothing. It doesn't tell you anything about the quality of the PSU. That's just the efficiency rating from conversion of AC power to DC power. Higher rating means that less energy is lost in the conversion. But it does not tell you anything else.

So, what makes the Seasonic PSU better, or just a PSU in general?
  13. Proven track record of reliability , and durability , and superior craftsmanship.
    http://www.seasonic.com/product/pc_retail.jsp
  14. And higher quality components.
  15. SR-71 Blackbird said:
    Proven track record of reliability , and durability , and superior craftsmanship.
    http://www.seasonic.com/product/pc_retail.jsp

And the Rosewill Hive lacks this? I believe the Rosewill Hive was Tier 2, along with Seasonic. Im just trying to see whether or not I should eliminate the Rosewill as a choice, because it is indeed a little cheaper than the seasonic you linked to.
  16. All the needed information needed has been supplied.Now time to make a purchase.
  17. 1Dan1 said:

And the Rosewill Hive lacks this? I believe the Rosewill Hive was Tier 2, along with Seasonic. Im just trying to see whether or not I should eliminate the Rosewill as a choice, because it is indeed a little cheaper than the seasonic you linked to.

Yes; Rosewill is a hit or miss most times. They have improved recently and their Hive and Capstone models are fairly reliable. But they still cannot match Seasonic.

The PSU is the most important component in your entire build. It is connected to every other component and needs to provide power to everything. Think about that before you decide whether you think skimping out on a PSU.
  18. ksham said:
    1Dan1 said:

Yes; Rosewill is a hit or miss most times. They have improved recently and their Hive and Capstone models are fairly reliable. But they still cannot match Seasonic.

The PSU is the most important component in your entire build. It is connected to every other component and needs to provide power to everything. Think about that before you decide whether you think skimping out on a PSU.

Okay, I believe I will pass on the Rosewill then. Before I pick a solution, could you compile a few 550 W supplies that are as good as Seasonic and are actually quality? Thanks alot for your help
  19. There aren't any that are as good as Seasonic. Seasonic is arguably the best out there today.

Other quality ones are: Antec Basiq 550W, XFX 550W, Rosewill Hive 550W, Rosewill Capstone 550W, Antec EarthWatts 550W, Silverstone 550W, Be Quiet! DPP 550W, etc.
  20. SR-71 Blackbird said:

Thanks alot for your help! & yes, I love this list, I used it to find the Rosewill Hive 550w, its up there with the Seasonic in Tier 2. I will look into Seasonic more, but if I get that Rosewill Hive really cheap (if it is actually quality) then I will purchase it.
  21. Sounds great , thanks for coming to the forums.
  22. ksham said:
    There aren't any that are as good as Seasonic. Seasonic is arguably the best out there today.

Other quality ones are: Antec Basiq 550W, XFX 550W, Rosewill Hive 550W, Rosewill Capstone 550W, Antec EarthWatts 550W, Silverstone 550W, Be Quiet! DPP 550W, etc.

Thanks alot for your help! I'll look those up, and keep in mind that Seasonic is the best.
  23. We are glad to help.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Motherboards Components