Bad FPS on multi player but good FPS on single player?

aquabilly

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013
Hello,

I recently posted a thread up about getting bad FPS on games, and i discovered that on multiplayer games i get terrible FPS but then on single player my FPS is great. I get great broadband speeds (40MBps download, 3MBps upload and 19 ping) but yet still bad FPS. For the original thread with my PC specs and more information: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1692136/slowing-gaming.html#10902587

Thanks for any help, I really want to get this sorted soon so i can start playing some games without so much trouble!

Billy

jay_d

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
What size servers are you playing on? After playing bf3 on a friends i3 (very old i3-530) I found that the 64 player servers were just too much for the smaller CPU's to handle. Try playing with very few other players and see if there is a difference. Other than that I have no clue.

POTATHUS

Honorable
Jun 3, 2013
I've seen your specs and it might be the CPU (I don't trust AMD :p) but before you do anything crazy,
turning off the V-SYNC in video settings should help you get about 10FPS

aquabilly

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013

Well World of Tanks servers are only about 20 I believe, Arma 2 servers are very big but stil on World of Tanks it lags.

aquabilly

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013

I have tried, still the same. And my friend has the same CPU but gets good FPS?

SirGCal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
For giggles, have you tried turning off the eye-candy just as a check-sum? Turn off anti-aliasing, shadows, etc. Just to see if it has an effect?

aquabilly

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013

do you know any good free ones i can use? And ones that i can easily tell you my results

SirGCal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
CPUz can give you the status on your setup. At lest tell you what it's doing. Recently found out someone's FPS was off cause their chip was basically in low power mode instead of performance mode... that'll do it. (1.5GHz instead of his expected 4GHz in that case). It's free...

aquabilly

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013

Ok, CPUz says the CPU is running at 1.4Ghz! And occasional it jumps to the true 4.5Ghz. How can i fix this?

SirGCal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
If it's running at the right speed when the game is running, then it's working as intended. Otherwise you can basically overclock it effectually by locking it's speed on, thus turning off the sleep state and keeping it in the high performance mode all the time. Downside is it'll suck more power and create more heat and you have to know how to do it (bios changes). You could however just try first by going into the power management mode in windows, selecting the power state and choosing high performance and seeing if that helps at all. Sometimes that'll reduce/remove the CPU sleep timers for idle states.

SirGCal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Ohh, you also might look in your bios for something like CPU idle state and turn it off. That might help too if you have the option. Some do some don't.

aquabilly

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013
I think it is running at 1.4Ghz when gaming because if i tab out of the game it says 1.4 in CPUz and then goes back up straight away, so could you just run me through what to do again im confused.

SirGCal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Turn CPUz's logging on, only way to be sure... When you tab back to windows... it should be clocking down for idle mode. So if it's working as intended, it might be ok. Logging will push it to a file you choose with a time stamp and then you can watch it.

EDIT: Actually, CPUz might not be the one I was thinking of with live logging in it... trying to remember... Sorry...

Be sure to do those power setting changes also.

Control Panel->Power Options-> (might have to click the down arrow to show more) High Performance

Doing this SHOULD stop it from dropping though, as it turns the minimum CPU setting to 100% instead of the idle down...

SiSandra has a free version that compares performance to what it should be, or at least it did last time I used it a few years ago. Google it and see.

aquabilly

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013

Ok i turned it onto high perfomance, it's slightly better but not very much. The trouble is, I don't really know what performance I should be getting

aquabilly

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013

Have you thaught of the program with logging on yet?

Don't...

Bump posts

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/283384-33-read-first