Asus Reveals ROG Maximus VI Impact Mini-ITX Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

slomo4sho

Distinguished
That appears to be great utilization of space. When you are out of real estate, you build up vertically. The only issue I see is the obscure placement of the Sata ports.

Mike Honcho

Honorable
May 1, 2013

Yikes, I didn't see that until I read your comment. They should have flip flopped the SATA ports with the DIMM slots. SATA should be on the outside.

slomo4sho

Distinguished

Moving the DIMM slots in would make it impossible to mount the CPU cooler.

xkche

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
I Like it! *.*
But, for AMD? :/
I think that can make a 5.2" cage with some connectors, to save space on the board, maybe connected by one propietary cable.

lowguppy

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
I can't wait to build a little monster of a PC with one of these. It might be time for the Micromachines Death Star project. (seeing as I already built a Falcon with 3570K in it)

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
VCR sized HTPC / light gaming rig here I come. I hope asus creates one of these for FM2+ chipset / Kaveri APU. Intel's onboard video still does not offer enough performance for my liking.
The 16x PCIe while great in theory is effectively useless. Any cases made for this size board are as diminutive as possible, adding a 13" full height video card would require a standard ATX power supply, much greater airflow, and a much larger enclosure.
At that point, why would you stick an m-itx board in a m-atx case, just buy an matx board...

HD7750 LP would work great for that with a low powered Haswell CPU and still game decently on most games.

ROG is high end gaming/overclocking though so I don't see a Kaveri based FM2+ board like this for it considering that currently only ASRock has mITX boards for FM2.

Tremec

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
I am still thinking of building a luggable gaming rig (Think briefcase size with included monitor) What would be the downfall of putting the video card on a flexible riser and mount it to where it pulls air from outside on the side of the case the case and blows air out the back of the case?

This, and more and more mini-ITX cases are adopting non-traditional mobo positioning to better utilize the space within the case. both the bitfenix prodigy and silverstone's FT03-mini are great examples of these. and in both cases, the harddrives are NOT located to the left of the mobo, thus putting the SATA ports to the left of the DIMM slots would not help with cable routing what so ever.

However I might have switched the SATA port positions with the USB-3.0 header, though considering those thick USB3.0 cables tend to be less flexible than SATA, perhaps ASUS have it right here

schnitter

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
Does look amazing, I have the M-ITX P8Z77-ITX MoBo right now, built it a while back and was kind of upset because I thought this new one would come with Thunderbolt... guess not. No need to upgrade for me then that is good. Anyway, good thinking about the front audio port moving away from below the PCI E port because I can't have a video card and front audio at the same time on my MoBo.

InvalidError

Titan
It is nice to see ITX get some attention.
Putting on-board audio on a daughtercard is a simple and effective way of completely isolating it from the path of motherboard power/ground plane noise and current loops. Much more difficult to mess up than directly on-board. Ideally, all semi-serious motherboard audio should be like that.

echozero

Honorable
Mar 15, 2013
bigshootr8. There are plenty AMD ITX motherboard such as Asus E2KM1I-DELUXE, C60M1-I, E45M1-I DELUXE, E35M1-I and F1A75-I DELUXE.
You probably should say there is no high end AMD itx motherboard for gaming rigs since most of AMD itx MB is aiming for media center type of application. F1A75-I DELUXE. is probably closet one for gaming board.

echozero

Honorable
Mar 15, 2013

It isn't really AMD fault. It is more like motherboard manufacture don't see the need for AMD ITX gaming rig. Specially when you consider majority of player prefer Intel gaming rig than AMD. (Unless you are AMD die hard supporter.)

I have Asus M4A88T-I that I bought few years ago and I can install Phenom IIX6 on it. The other Zotac Geforce 8200 ITX Wifi I own also can Phenom x4. That time majority of Intel ITX MB are atom or celeron board has cpu build in.

frank the tank

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
Good to see mini ITX getting some love. That is a slick looking little board but Holy Daughter boards!. well they had to cram everything on a full sized board on that little guy so it makes sense. would be great to build a Lunchbox PC. this with the 4770K and a big sealed liquid cooler and a beefy GPU would even make a meal out of bigger PC's. wish other mobo makers would do this too

Status
Not open for further replies.