First Timer - Light Video Editing - PC Build

RRover

Honorable
Jun 4, 2013
Recently discovered this section of Tomshardware.com. My budget is $800 not including a monitor. I would like it to contain USB 3.0, an i5 Haswell and a fast reliable SSD. No need for Mouse or Keyboard. Some future proofing would be nice as well.

Approximate Purchase Date: This Week

Budget Range: $7-800 after shipping

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Internet, movies, video editing, gaming

Are you buying a monitor: No

Do you need to buy OS: No (Have 64-bit Windows 7)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg

Parts Preferences: Intel Haswell CPU, USB3.0, good SSD

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 1,920 x 1,200

Additional Comments: Prefer a build that will be fast on loading times as well as a quiet & clean looking case.

I look forward to the advice from everybody.

EDIT:

With X79's help, I now have a better idea of where my build is headed, but I have decided to try and keep costs down a bit (7-800). So the following is my first build attempt, http://pcpartpicker.com/user/RRover/saved/1InZ . I would appreciate advice, be brutal if you must. Also, I only need an SSD now since I have a WD black drive.

Thanks!

X79

Honorable
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($159.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: Asus H87-PRO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($127.55 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair XMS3 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($100.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($98.76 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($32.50 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($14.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $884.73
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-04 21:09 EDT-0400)

- Haswell CPU.

- USB 3.0.

- Good SSD.

- Plenty RAM for editing.

- GPU good for gaming (and helping with editing).

- Motherboard can go SLI/CF.

- Plenty storage.

- You can change the case to a Fractal design one.

RRover

Honorable
Jun 4, 2013
Thanks for the response but I have a question.

I have an old power supply, would there be any reason why it wouldnt be compatible?

for reference it is this, http://

Also, a few of the parts are from microcenter & I have no way of getting there. Is it possible to get a similar build closer to $800?

X79

Honorable
That PSU is compatible with Sandy bridge CPUs. That's second generation ones in other words.

However I just put a 4th Generation Haswell CPU in the build. So I think it's safer to get a new one.

It's not like it might not work, but... PSUs should be Haswell compatible ideally, so that they'll do things

like work fine at the very low idle volts.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/133hG

Sometimes partpicker doesn't display things correctly.

Now there's no Microcenter parts.

RRover

Honorable
Jun 4, 2013
Got it, I'll spend the extra money to be on the safe side. I just noticed that the video card is not the same as the original & I cant seem to find any reviews about it. Is this a new card that is supposed to work better w/ the Haswell processors?

X79

Honorable
Are you talking about the GTX 650 Ti Boost?

It should work just fine. It's a great mid-range card.

Of course a GTX 660 would be better, but it's still good.

RRover

Honorable
Jun 4, 2013
The GTX 650 Ti Boost should be sufficient, I would like to find a card that is on par with this one that also includes some free games, tried searching for the same chipset(GTX650) but only came up with $75 in-game credit.

X79

Honorable
Well AMD are the masters of the game bundling thing. But I think you'd have to go quite high

up to find game bundling. Their top of the line 7990 has 8 games with it. The one below, the 7970

has 4 or so. And then maybe the 7950 has some too. As for Nvidia, I don't remember when you get

a game with them. But I've only seem them bundle Metro: Last Light with their GPUs. Possibly GTX

670 or higher.