G.Skill Introduces the TridentX DDR3-3000 MHz 32 GB Kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
As much as I like G.Skill ram would be nice to include latencies as well ram clock rates and voltages alone don't come close to telling the whole story when it comes to performance and efficiency.

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
I still think it's clocked at 750 MHz. 3GHz is the data rate. At 3GHz clock rate it'd have data rate of 12GHz, which would be ridiculously fast but it just isn't technically possible at the moment...

InvalidError

Titan

We are talking about DDR3 RAM here so a 3GHz clock would be 6GT/s or Gbps/pin. You were thinking about QDR signaling like GDDR5.

So that 3GT/s DDR3 RAM would be running on a 1.5GHz clock. That's already almost on par with the 3.2GT/s upper-range originally expected out of DDR4.

InvalidError

Titan

I doubt they actually have separate SKUs for 2933 and 3000. Most likely a miscommunication somewhere - 2933 and 3000 are only 2% apart and it is extremely unlikely that 2933 parts would lack sufficient headroom to manage 3000.

The more likely explanation is that someone somewhere based their clock calculation on 133MHz base to come up with 2933 while someone else may have used 100MHz and ended up with 3000 as the nearest fit. Happens a lot when different CPUs derive their memory clocks from different base frequencies.

hannibal

Distinguished
Well this is like sport car with nitro boost. You can do some serious overclockin for so long time that you can run pi-calculation-test... There is no upper limit what some people are villing to pay extreme products. And no there is not any sense on that ;-)

thasan1

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013
@agnickolov thats the equation for DDR5 rams, this rams real clock is 1500 Mhz and since its Dual data rate, it performs at DDR3-3000 Mhz speeds. and for DDR4-5 you have to multiply it by 4 and like you stated if if it it is 3Ghz then its real clock is 750 Mhz.

InvalidError

Titan

So low that DRAM chip manufacturers are selling chips at a loss to avoid the cost overhead of shutting down and restarting production lines (costs millions) during slow months to the point some of them fail to survive the low-tide and go bankrupt?

While it may sound great for end-users, that sort of pricing is unsustainable, unhealthy and possibly going to get costly as the number of viable DRAM manufacturers gets closer to monopoly.

There used to be over a dozen well-known (though not necessarily for the right reasons) DRAM chip manufacturers and a dozen more lesser-known brands but now, I'm not sure we can even fill a top-10. That's more than half of DRAM manufacturers either going bankrupt, merging, getting bought-out or bailing out of the DRAM business over the past ~15 years.

While record-breaking low DRAM prices every few years is nice, they still comes at someone's expense and we are running out of DRAM manufacturers to take those risks and eat that cost. So, our turn to pay is coming up.

Me, I decided to simply cram 32GB in my PC while RAM is still cheap and not worry about when DDR3 prices might go on a steep climb.

Status
Not open for further replies.