Radeon 6870 Overheating Need Help!

onetonwonton

Honorable
Jun 4, 2013
I have bought my custom made computer a little over a year ago (thus rendering the 1 year warranty useless) and my GPU, XFX Radeon HD 6870, has, for the past two days, been overheating all of a sudden. I have never experienced temperatures of over 80 degrees at full load and just yesterday, while playing World of Warcraft (which is not that graphics intensive), my GPU has reached an upwards of 105 degrees celcius, causing my whole computer to completely shut down.

I have already cleaned out all of the dust from within my PC case (with the exception of my CPU). I have used this GPU for over a year, so I doubt that it can suddenly be faulty, but I could be wrong. I am no computer expert, but could the problem be involved with expired thermal paste? I need help with this issue! Thank you!

Vyrisus

Honorable
May 31, 2013
Something is definitely going on there, as it's not normal for a card to just shoot up 25 degrees from one day to the next under the same loads. I understand that there is a certain kind of malware that uses your gpu for bitcoin mining (which would certainly drive up the temps in a sudden way like that), so you may want to run a thorough scan of your system and see if that's what the issue is. Not saying that it is or is not the problem, but it's a place to start. You also very well could simply have a card going bad.

onetonwonton

Honorable
Jun 4, 2013
Sorry, forgot to mention that I have fully scanned my system using Malwarebytes. Should I send my PC over to a computer repair store?

Vyrisus

Honorable
May 31, 2013
While I hate telling anyone to take their PC into a shop, in this case, the cause of the sudden overheating seems pretty mysterious, thus taking it in may save you quite a bit of time, as they will have diagnostic software and tools that you don't.

onetonwonton

Honorable
Jun 4, 2013
According to SpeedFan, all of my fans are moving and I can see them moving inside the case. I have not touched any part of my case ever with the exception of opening my case once last year to check the RAM. It is strange that this problem would occur out of nowhere. By the way, my GPU is actually XFX Radeon HD 6870.

Kraisen

Honorable
May 30, 2013
Fan Rounds Per Minutes metering.

Speedfan for instance reads out the rounds per minute of your CPU fan, meaning how many times do the fans spin around per minute.

What Smeeze is saying is that he's not sure if there is any software that can detect how many rounds per minute a GPU fan spins.

What Smeeze is saying is that he's not sure if there is any software that can detect how many rounds per minute a GPU fan spins.
That is correct. Not all GPUs have three wire fans for measuring.
You should visually verify the GPU fan is spinning at a reasonable speed.

TRENDING THREADS