Wat is wrong with my PC?

Dafydd Carhart

Honorable
Jun 5, 2013
I just finished my very first build and was excisted, so I turn on my PC to get into the Bios and there is nothing on the monitor and the USB ports on my PC dont work. Could this mean that i have a fried motherboard?

Dafydd Carhart

Honorable
Jun 5, 2013
CPU - AMD 6300
GPU - AMD 7850 1gb
RAM - 8GB
Mobo - Asrock 990fx extreme 3
PSU - Cosair 750w gold plus 80

I think i kno wat is wrong with my PC, since it hasnt got a OS it doesnt recognise the USB Ports on my PC so I would have to use the old style round ones.

Dafydd Carhart

Honorable
Jun 5, 2013

Yes i understand that but i cant even turn the monitor on without a keyboard so i would have to use those PS2 ports to just get the monitor on XD

The monitor should work even if a keyboard is not connected to it. Did you connect the 8-pin CPU cable?

Dafydd Carhart

Honorable
Jun 5, 2013
Im just gonna see if the PS2 Keyboard does the Job cause it says on the monitor *It is in power savemode press any key on keyboard to power monitor* like I said it hasnt got windows 7 yet so it possibly doesnt kno wat a USB port is yet. Cause it hasnt got any drivers etc etc.

When you power up the PC, whatever happens during POST should be displayed on the monitor. Ignore the message that you see on the monitor because it presumes the PC is in sleep mode, but you know that it isn't.

Your problem is far more basic than that. You need to make sure that the PSU is working properly (check voltages using a DVM or test it in another system). Does the system beep when you power it up? Did you breadboard your components before installing everything in the case? If not, disconnect everything but the video card and try again. Don't leave the keyboard or anything else connected. If you still don't see anything on the monitor (other than the useless message that's displayed), then you'll have to determine if the motherboard or the video card is defective. You can test the video card in another system or you could use an old PCI video card to rule out that possibility.

Dafydd Carhart

Honorable
Jun 5, 2013
I double checked all my connectors and they are all fine, It either doesnt beep or i put the speaker in the wrong place cause I do not kno where to put it on the mobo.

Does it matter if the monitor is 9 years old?

It will beep through the case (or piezo) speaker connected to the speaker connector at the edge of the motherboard (identified as Speaker1 near the front panel connector).

As long as it works, it doesn't matter if the monitor is very old.

You definitely connected the 24-pin ATX power connector, but did you also connect the 8-pin CPU power connector? Failure to connect it would cause the type of issue you're having.

Dafydd Carhart

Honorable
Jun 5, 2013
I will again reconnect all of my cables. and I will also take out my GPU and re insert it just in case. As well ive been hearing that the DVI to VGA adaptor can go wrong. Could that also effect it?

Dafydd Carhart

Honorable
Jun 5, 2013
Nah I havent got spare parts for my PC or another adaptor, which is why it is so hard for me to diagnose the problem because i am basically a student and is living off parents XD

I seriously doubt the adaptor is the issue, particularly if the PC doesn't even beep at POST (which you don't see). Why don't you start from scratch and test your components outside of the case? Keep only what's needed to test it (motherboard on a non-conductive surface, CPU, one memory module and video card only). Connect the CPU, ATX and video power cables from the PSU. Then jumper the power pins on the motherboard (front panel connector) and see what happens.

Building PCs may be fun, but having spare parts definitely makes it a lot easier to fix issues.

TRENDING THREADS