Squid squirt could be a boost for the lady

It was a serious article ... you think I jest ??

I have a black eye after discussing the merits of this with the wife ... <sigh>.

She may have misinterpreted my intent ... which was purely academic.

:)

riser

Illustrious
There was an article saying that morning sickness is heavily reduced and/or elminiated if she consumes the little swimmers after being pregnant. Something about morning sickness being her body rejecting army but by injesting it causes the body to accept them, something to that effect.

Oh boy, is this ever a WIDE open door for a bunch of dirty jokes. And I'll stop there.

@Riser

That paper you are discussing with morning sickness and spermatophagia sounds a little fishy. The reason there is morning sickness is due to high levels of estrogen and progesterone in the mother's bloodstream. These hormones are made by the placenta and are their levels peak during the first trimester of development when the embryo is very small. The levels decrease after that and the morning sickness gets better in the second trimester. I don't believe sperm has any known anti-nausea properties.

Morning sickness is certainly NOT due to the mother's immune system rejecting the "foreign" embryo. The very complicated placenta allows for a blood-blood barrier between maternal and embryonic/fetal circulation as various substances diffuse across the placenta. The maternal circulation does not see much of anything for fetal cells until at birth due to that indirect placental connection. Otherwise the maternal immune system would see a large number of "foreign" cells and develop antibodies to kill the "foreign" object. Antibodies do cross the placenta and would destroy the fetus. The best example I can think of that describes the whole issue of how the placenta prevents an anti-rejection mechanism and what happens if there is a rejection is with Rh isoimmunization The first baby is fine as the mother doesn't see any "foreign" Rh+ blood cells until right when the first Rh+ baby is born, so the baby is fine. However then she makes antibodies against Rh+ after that exposure which cross the placenta and wreak havoc on subsequent Rh+ fetuses.

I think they said that because they can't exactly name the paper "This little octopus-like animal gives a ** and swallows...and it is good for her too!" The most unprofessionally named medically paper I have seen is "The Art of Pimping," which was allowed just because it is a very famous and funny mock study...and also has nothing to do with the actual pimping.

riser

Illustrious

I was simply pointing to the mere benefits of someone writing such an article. :)