WAnt to remove write protection

ShadeTreeTech

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
There are a bunch of different things that will write protect a drive. Items like USB flash drives and flash card memory can have a slider on the side which is a lock just like the old floppy diskette write protect window. They also can have utilities on them that reserve a portion of the drive for encryption programs (they are on a hidden partition).

There are also issues that will not allow you permission to write to a drive, but it's not necessarily a write protect setting(but that's the message you get). If it's a HDD it could be a utility or something as simple as not having NTFS permissions. I've seen drives that are failing claim write protection, which has no fix other than paying for professional data retrieval and purchasing a replacement drive. I've seen issues where the drive works fine in one computer but not another. Also, antivirus programs (like SEP) can lock out a drive that it perceives as infected.

At this point I don't have enough information about what type of drive, what it's used for, what kind of machine it's plugged into. The quickest way to start checking is to plug the drive into another computer and test. Also, take another of the same type of drive and connect to this computer and see what it does.